• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Silicone sealant


New Member
Bit of an odd one this I suppose. I have installed a new worktop in my spider room, and I need to seal the gap around the edges so spiderlings and small crickets don't disspear down the gap against the wall. Do you think silicone sealant will be safe to use in the room as the fumes that come off the sealant as it cures can be very strong. I'm thinking aquarium sealant which I know is safe but this still has to cure first and will also give off lots of fumes. Please let me know what you think...


Well-Known Member
Would it be feasible to move your collection out of the room while it cures for a couple hours? Or perhaps open the windows in the room?


Well-Known Member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use silicone all the time and never had problems with the fumes.


Well-Known Member
Tarantula Club Member
Given that silicone fumes are known to give humans issues, I would not use silicone in the same room as my T's. But not everything sold as silicone is the same, so it's smells & effects will depend upon what you are using. As it's not the silicone it's self which is toxic to us, fish, plants etc. But the added chemicals.

In general, any silicone sealant that smells of vinegar, needs good ventilation. The vinegar smell with silicone sealant is caused by acetic acid & it does have known effects on humans. Dizziness being one known effect. So with T's being more susceptible to smells, I would personally avoid it. The aquarium friendly silicone sealant, means that once set, it is safe for fish. So it has nothing to do with the fumes.

There are non silicone, non toxic sealants available. But they could put as many fumes out as silicone. Add some bowls of water & some onions cut in half to a well ventilated room & any smells should disappear reasonably fast. So maybe the best method, may be to simply use silicone & then ventilate the area well & remove the T's for several hours.

Edited to add. Both bowls of water & onions (cut in half,) are great ways of drawing smells out of the air.
Last edited:

Combat Advantage

Active Member
If that's what you have already, then use it.
Like everyone else said, it's best to be safe than sorry. Depending on temp and humidity, 24 hours should be enough time for curing. Check manufacturer recommendation. I've talked to all the major ones for aquarium building. I like the newer liquid rubber based tubes best, but either will work.