• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Should I remove my rose hair's unfertilized egg sac?

Leslie Hoey

3 Year Member
I got a Rose Hair sometime in the winter earlier this year. I named her Bilbo Swaggins :cool:
I noticed she's been really active. She would line the mulch in her cage with web, to the point that if you moved just a little bit of the dirt, pretty much the rest would move too. She also was laying more webs along the corners of the terrarium as well.
Along with this, however, I noticed a ball of web that she had rolled up. I kind of assumed it was an egg sac, and surely enough, when I cut it open it had hundreds of goo-ey white eggs waiting for me.

I know the eggs aren't fertilized, as she's never come in contact with a male. My question is, should I remove the egg sac? Or would doing that only stress her out?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got a Rose Hair sometime in the winter earlier this year. I named her Bilbo Swaggins :cool:
I noticed she's been really active. She would line the mulch in her cage with web, to the point that if you moved just a little bit of the dirt, pretty much the rest would move too. She also was laying more webs along the corners of the terrarium as well.
Along with this, however, I noticed a ball of web that she had rolled up. I kind of assumed it was an egg sac, and surely enough, when I cut it open it had hundreds of goo-ey white eggs waiting for me.

I know the eggs aren't fertilized, as she's never come in contact with a male. My question is, should I remove the egg sac? Or would doing that only stress her out?
Where did you get the tarantula? Are you certain she's never come in contact with a male?

Tuskedwings

3 Year Member
It could have been fertilized, most rose hairs that you find for sale are poached from chile up until a little while ago :/

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree...might wann look into incubating them just in case...and i wouldnt put it back now that u have removed it. she might just eat it.

Latest posts