• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Should i change the enclo?

Zarshenyu

Hello.

I have a juvenile male B. Albo. Now i think he's about to molt because his abdomen is pretty bald.

Should i change the enclosure before his molt? I'm afraid that he would get stuck because the wrong size of the enclo.
The size of enclosure
Long: 18 cm
Width: 12 cm
Height: 8 cm.

Thank you for your attention.

Ps: Here are pictures of the enclo and size of my T.

_20190219_192020.jpg
Screenshot_2019-02-19-19-18-32-374.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-02-19-19-18-25-527.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-02-19-19-18-16-388.jpeg
_20190219_191749.jpg

Zarshenyu

If he is close to moulting then leave him he doesn't need the added stress. Once he has hardened up after moulting, maybe a couple of weeks then you can rehouse him.
This is his current situation right now. He's still pretty active i think. And he just ate a crickets 5 days ago, before he bald like this. He got bald like 2 days ago. The abdoment is still pale. Any idea how long when will he going to moult?

Thank you

_20190219_200854.jpg

InEx Situ

You can typically tell if a tarantula is about to molt if their abdomen (the bold spot) is dark and shiny. Based on the pictures, doesn't look like it's going to molt anytime soon. Maybe you can start decorating the new enclosure now?;)

Zarshenyu

Only he knows that unfortunately. Once his abdomen darkens, moult is usually just a few days away.
Sorry for the late reply. Kinda busy this week..

Now he has a black spot on his abdomen. I think it will be few weeks before he molt?

I will attach the photo soon

Zarshenyu

You can typically tell if a tarantula is about to molt if their abdomen (the bold spot) is dark and shiny. Based on the pictures, doesn't look like it's going to molt anytime soon. Maybe you can start decorating the new enclosure now?;)

He's pretty lethargic now. Last week i gave him crickets, it took 2 hours for him to catch the crickets. The crickets even walked below his leg and he just stood quietly.. And now he has a black spot on his abdomen..

RonC

It may continue to darken over the next few days. When we say turns dark think like a ripe grape color and the whole abdomen. Wont stay that dark for long before it molts. Here's a pic of a B.hamorii sling normally and immediately pre-molt.

Attachments

Zarshenyu

It may continue to darken over the next few days. When we say turns dark think like a ripe grape color and the whole abdomen. Wont stay that dark for long before it molts. Here's a pic of a B.hamorii sling normally and immediately pre-molt.
Okay, noted.
Should i give him crickets or not? Today is his feeding schedule. But im afraid it'll be adding more stress to him

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Okay, noted.
Should i give him crickets or not? Today is his feeding schedule. But im afraid it'll be adding more stress to him
You can always drop in a cricket. If he eats it, great! If he doesn't eat it, then you know the molt is coming within the next week or so, and you'll have to remove the cricket so it doesn't injure him during the molt.

Zarshenyu

You can always drop in a cricket. If he eats it, great! If he doesn't eat it, then you know the molt is coming within the next week or so, and you'll have to remove the cricket so it doesn't injure him during the molt.
Last time i drop a crickets was 1 week ago. It took 2 hours for him to catch because he was so lethargic and he wasn't looks like interest to eat that. And he took a long time than usual to eat. Usually, he take 2 hours to eat 1 crickets. Last week, he took 4 hours.

This is his abdomen looks like right now:
IMG_20190303_083650.jpg
IMG_20190303_083650.jpg

If i drop crickets, how long i should wait to pick it up again (if my T won't eat it)?

Thank you

Zarshenyu

Last time i drop a crickets was 1 week ago. It took 2 hours for him to catch because he was so lethargic and he wasn't looks like interest to eat that. And he took a long time than usual to eat. Usually, he take 2 hours to eat 1 crickets. Last week, he took 4 hours.

This is his abdomen looks like right now:
View attachment 35713

If i drop crickets, how long i should wait to pick it up again (if my T won't eat it)?

Thank you

RonC

You can leave it for a few hours. Being close to molt I would not leave it overnight. Some of mine eat quickly then other times they eat slowly. As they get closer to molt their eyesight also decreases because of the old exoskeleton so that could also account for not taking the feeder quickly. They don't see real well on a normal day. Patience, it will happen. I'm a new keeper myself and understand you anxiety.

Latest posts