• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

She must be hungry!

Scobie666

3 Year Member
Hey guys, looking for some information if possible,

i have a b.smithi, She is around 10 years old. She handles well and normally eats well and molts well.

Her last molt was last week. This one stopped her from eating for 5 months but she has done that before. Her molt is perfect and she is all proud and happy. Normally after her molt she is ravenous, obviously as she has not eaten for a while...but this time she is not. She is not eating, She is turning away from her hoppers, her body is still held up and she is moving around. Just not eating.

Any ideas?

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
For a 10 years old Brachy, no food one week after a molt is perfectly normal. Mine waits at least one month before taking food again, even when she fasted five months (my temps are around 23C). You can leave her alone for two weeks then try again.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

Scobie666

3 Year Member
For a 10 years old Brachy, no food one week after a molt is perfectly normal. Mine waits at least one month before taking food again, even when she fasted five months (my temps are around 23C). You can leave her alone for two weeks then try again.

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

That brings a sigh of relief Nicolas, thank you.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yep, nothing of concern there. Open water dish with clean water is all that's needed for now. (I always boil and cool down all water for dishes and misting)
Based on your avatar, that is one lovely looking smithi BTW ☺

Scobie666

3 Year Member
Thanks Phil, I am glad i joined now!
She is great, she has taken fears from people and led to a lot of understanding about spiders. As i say, my concern was that she is normally ravenous after molt and this one was pretty long. She would normally be on her second box by now but nothing.

I will keep on the water diet and keep testing her,

Cheers

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks Phil, I am glad i joined now!
She is great, she has taken fears from people and led to a lot of understanding about spiders. As i say, my concern was that she is normally ravenous after molt and this one was pretty long. She would normally be on her second box by now but nothing.

I will keep on the water diet and keep testing her,

Cheers
No problem at all. She is lovely and I am sure all will be well. I used to do creepy crawly roadshows at schools with a smithi so one of my faves, and yes, it helped with fears.....although most of our fears are "inhereted" by us as children copying our parents behaviour......lol

Latest posts