• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shark Cage or Not

Rick Stallard

3 Year Member
This is mainly for breeders but will allow future breeders some helpful information. Do you use a shark cage or a divided enclosure. A shark cage is a small container with holes in it, you put the male in and lay it in the enclosure with the female for a few days before mating. Divided enclosure is a container that the male and female are both in but divided by a piece of clear plexiglass that has holes in it. Both allow the male and the female to see each other and smell each other and touch thru the holes, before being put together. I also exchange webbing a week or more before pairing them up. I think using them can help save the life of a male. The female becomes use to the male and it is not a total surprise when all of a sudden there's a male in with her. They allow them to both get "worked up". In no way is it a waste of time or effort to use them. It can't hurt, only help. You just do it a few days before breeding. The male is already in there, just let him out. He is less stressed than if you go take him from his container and plop him down with a very surprised female. I know several breeders that use them, I do, and I see nothing detrimental in doing so. Sound like a good idea? Do you use them?

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
While I don't think there is any harm in using them I dont think they are in any way necessary. The breeder I sent my MM regalis to last year literally opened up his shipping deli scooted him in with the female, got in, inserted, got out. Now several months later, slings in the incubator.

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
This is mainly for breeders but will allow future breeders some helpful information. Do you use a shark cage or a divided enclosure. A shark cage is a small container with holes in it, you put the male in and lay it in the enclosure with the female for a few days before mating. Divided enclosure is a container that the male and female are both in but divided by a piece of clear plexiglass that has holes in it. Both allow the male and the female to see each other and smell each other and touch thru the holes, before being put together. I also exchange webbing a week or more before pairing them up. I think using them can help save the life of a male. The female becomes use to the male and it is not a total surprise when all of a sudden there's a male in with her. They allow them to both get "worked up". In no way is it a waste of time or effort to use them. It can't hurt, only help. You just do it a few days before breeding. The male is already in there, just let him out. He is less stressed than if you go take him from his container and plop him down with a very surprised female. I know several breeders that use them, I do, and I see nothing detrimental in doing so. Sound like a good idea? Do you use them?
I've never bred but I definitely will in the future I see where your coming from and I would recommend that to say aggressive species ?

Therasoid

3 Year Member
I'm with Poec54, I don't use them either. Primarily breed Ceratogyrus & Haplopelma species. In the natural environment the MM doesn't "date before mate", just wants to do the deed and hopefully escape unharmed. Lol!

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
I will give my view,but in NO WAY a rule since I firmly believe the tarantula hobby is still in infancy. I have tried this with Poecilotheria Metallica,and some other pokies and I haven't seen any beneficial behaviour different from just adding the male. With other specimens like haplopelma even lampropelma,having the male sit there but nothing more could actually cause an opposite effect.

I will do my setup as follows
- Use a larger cage
- Add enough food pre breeding(male and female)
- insuring there is sufficient water as well,happy female possible alive male.
- make sure the area is low light
- make sure least traffic through the area,so a quiet area
- No disturbance after the male is added
- Poecilotheria or Monocentropus,I leave the male to co inhabit.

These are some things I do,but like in said no rule at all. There are some other minor things I do as well,but that is just a quick run through. So I hope this sheds some light on how I do it,love to see topics like these others can read and maybe share or ask questions.

Last edited: