• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sexing P striata juvenile

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's the underside and top of Patricia or Patrick's abdomen. I tried feeding a meal worn, only the second attempt, and the T bolted out of the web in the corner after a few minutes when it began wiggling.

I guess Striata doesn't like those it isn't used to consuming them.

I'm very tentatively saying male but not quite sure. They are sexually dimorphic so I include the upper side as well.

P straita what sex 5.jpg
P straita what sex 4.jpg
P straita what sex 1.jpg
P straita what sex 2.jpg
P straita what sex 3.jpg

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
Which dot and where is it at?

I thought the stripe on top of the abdomen being black like that might indicate male but wasn't sure.
First post in the thread I linked shows the male ventral shot really clear in the first two pics that T is a male. The "Dot" refers to the very middle upper lip of the vent where on a male its bare of setae and the epiandrous fusillae is located.
Sexing tarantulas

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pictures are to low quality to tell for sure, but I'm seeing a male. Along the furrow, midway between the top book lungs is there a "Dot" where its not dark like the rest of surrounding area? The dot indicates male.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/poecilotheria-ventral-sexing.156828/

Yes, there is a dot. Between the top book lungs there is a black formation that resembles the Eiffel tower or an upside down letter Y depending on your opinion.

The dot is in the inside of the upside down Y? Is that the correct landmark?

I'm assuming that he'll never be quite as brightly colored as the female is. Still, if he matures, how likely is it that a breeding loan or trade might be possible? How would one find a reputable breeder by which I mean someone who won't mistreat him or hybridize him recklessly etc?

I'm sure that's a long way off. Mature males are twice as large I'm guessing, at least 4 inches not 2 inches or even bigger.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He just be molted. Now I can confirm its male. The coloration has to much tan to be female, which is a shame. Still, a wonderful stable very well behaved tarantula.

P straita Patrick molt 3-16-18 4.jpg
P striata Patrick molt 3-16-18 1.jpg
P striata Patrick molt 3-16-18 2.jpg
P striata Patrick molt 3-16-18 3.jpg

Latest posts