• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sensationalist tarantula drama on reality show...ugh

Sharno

3 Year Member
Hey all -
I do not want to give these idiots more traffic, but I'd like to know if I am crazy to think this entire "tarantula infestation" on kardashian's show is 100% fabricated. The lame web site reporting on it called tarantulas "insects" but that's a bonehead thing a lot of media say.

The clip has pest control saying "it's mating season" and that's adding to the problem. I believe mating season here (Southern California) is in the Fall, isn't it?

And the tarantula they show does not look like a typical Aphonopelma variants? The one in the clip has the little red patch, and for the life of me I know what it is but can't recall the name. If they have 100% fabricated this, I am surprised they didn't go buy a few large B. hamorii.

If anyone can stomach the clip it is below. If I am wrong and this was 100% authentic, I guess you learn something new every day!

http://toofab.com/2018/02/08/kourtn...-kardashians-tarantulas-spiders-laura-pippen/

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
First thing...what is televised on TV happened months and months ago...so it was probably breeding season then. Looks to be a male Aphonopelma johhnycashi...could be wrong though??? Maybe @KezyGLA would know for sure. I'm viewing on my phone and the glass is cracked.

Last edited:

Matt S.

3 Year Member
First thing...what is televised on TV happened months and months ago...so it was probably breeding season then. Looks to be a male Aphonopelma johhnycashi...could be wrong though??? Maybe @KezyGLA would know for sure. I'm viewing on my phone and the glass is cracked.

Today I learned that there is a species of Tarantula named after Johnny Cash. Being the mechanism by which this information was shown to me may be the best thing the Kardashian reality TV show has ever done.

Sharno

3 Year Member
I realized finally what kind of tarantula it resembles - euathlus sp. 'red' - chilean red. I don't know of any Aphonopelma or other california tarantulas with that splash of red. You can see it at around :52 seconds of the clip. Good point about the filming time. Even if it was the Fall I find it hard to believe they had a tarantula walking across the backyard and happened to see it for camera.
chilean.jpg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Aphonopelma Johnnycashi are found in California and the males have a small red patch on the abdomen. There are also a couple other Aphonopelma species like it native to California.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Sharno

3 Year Member
I am in Anaheim - I know there are tarantulas in the canyons around here, for sure. And males are readily seen in the fall. I just questioned the timing and coloration of the on on the show. Thanks to everyone that posted potential tarantulas and links!

Latest posts