• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Scutigera Coleoptrata as a pet?

Lemon

I love these centipedes and usually end up picking them up for a brief millisecond before they zoom off my hand, anyway I'm wondering how they would do in captivity if they can be.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
From what I know about them, they are fairly easy to keep. Just some slightly moist substrate & somewhere dark, like some bark to hide under, some vertical bark to molt on & that is about the only requirement they have.

House Centipedes are not burrowers, so the substrate is for humidity only. So no need for any real depth of substrate. But vertical height, especially behind bark etc. Is good. An inch should do it for substrate & just keep it slightly moist. Food wise treat them like a T & give them crickets etc.

They are not UK native species, but they are occasionally found here, probably having arrived on imports. So temperature is not a big issue with them.

MBullock

3 Year Member
They actually get pretty 'friendly' as centipedes go. Seems to be alot more intelligent than scolopendromorpha too.

MBullock

3 Year Member
If you like house centipedes there's a gigantic species in asia with a body length (minus legs) of like 4-4.5" and is enormous lol

Screen-Shot-2022-10-03-at-10-15-04-PM.png

Apparently they really like people and crawl all over you when encountered- perhaps attracted to sweat or looking for scraps of food.

Lemon

If you like house centipedes there's a gigantic species in asia with a body length (minus legs) of like 4-4.5" and is enormous lol

Screen-Shot-2022-10-03-at-10-15-04-PM.png
Omg...I LOVE THAT

Apparently they really like people and crawl all over you when encountered- perhaps attracted to sweat or looking for scraps of food.