• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Scorpions & Heat

Mygalomorphic

I’ve never kept scorpions before, mostly because I’ve always read that they need external heat. As I get deeper into the invert keeping hobby I wonder if this is actually true or not. I remember when it was “known” that tarantulas needed external heat. Now we know this isn’t true. As far as I know there are no tarantulas or true spiders kept in captivity that need a heat source. Could this not be the case with scorpions? We keep T’s from the same regions many commonly available scorpions come from and yet only provide heat to the scorps. I understand they are completely different animals but I still wonder if we are making it more difficult than need be.
Is anyone successfully keeping scorps at room temperature?

prince charmless

I’ve never kept scorpions before, mostly because I’ve always read that they need external heat. As I get deeper into the invert keeping hobby I wonder if this is actually true or not. I remember when it was “known” that tarantulas needed external heat. Now we know this isn’t true. As far as I know there are no tarantulas or true spiders kept in captivity that need a heat source. Could this not be the case with scorpions? We keep T’s from the same regions many commonly available scorpions come from and yet only provide heat to the scorps. I understand they are completely different animals but I still wonder if we are making it more difficult than need be.
At this time, I have two scorpions, no external heat, and they are doing just fine

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Many of us are. But the room must be kept at a reasonable temperature. I see your location is listed simply as USA. And I would image room temperatures can vary somewhat between the Mexican border & Alaska. Also not all scorpions come from deserts, Europe has some that live in Eastern Europe in rather cool conditions. We even have some introduced scorpions that survive & breed in England.

But in general, if your room is warm enough for you in a t shirt, then like tarantulas, scorpions will do fine.