• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Scorpions, centipedes, other inverts.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Where do ya'll get scorpions and centipedes and "other" inverts? I'm looking for scorps at the moment, and I'm just not finding a very good selection. I checked KTBG, Swifts, bugsincyberspace, tarantulaspiders.com, every vendor with a scorpion page I could think of. Same goes for centipedes and mantids. So yeah, my question is, does anyone know of a good site I didn't list that has a decent selection of scorpions? Googling just pulls up sites that are already saved as favorites..

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok well I got impatient and I finally found something I wanted. I ordered 5 Heterometrus cyaneus babies for a communal. I already have the enclosure built, please let me know if anything is wrong, I'm new to scorpions :
large-rw-deluxe-hamster-cage-xl.jpg

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok well I got impatient and I finally found something I wanted. I ordered 5 Heterometrus cyaneus babies for a communal. I already have the enclosure built, please let me know if anything is wrong, I'm new to scorpions :
View attachment 14938

i take it you're feeding them the hamster in the pic?

Backwater reptiles has a scorpion page, but they have horrible reviews here... I've never ordered form them

www.reptilecity.com has a scorp page, never used them either and don't see a review for them here.

I was gonna say bigappleherp.com but after looking at their page of Ts... never mind, way overpriced and they're all listed by common name, never heard of some of these common names.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
lol, naa, just thought it would be funny. Tough crowd. lol . I got the scorps plus a free Smeringurus mesaensis, dune scorpion. I have to go get clay and sand tomorrow for the dune scorp, wasn't prepared for it, but the others have settled in, 3 in one enclosure, 2 in another. These guys are pretty cool, but I have a feeling I'll like the C gracilis I have coming even better. The dune scorp surprised me...I have yellow scorps all over the place, never thought they got this pretty. Pics are coming, after they get comfortable. All of them are tiny..

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's something interesting. Since being placed in the enclosure, one of the Heterometrus cyaneus (one of them in the dual enclosure) has been going UNDERWATER in his water dish. He stays underwater. Then he comes out and spreads his claws, and if I open the enclosure, he goes back underwater. I've run him out of the dish from being concerned, and he goes right back...lmao, they dive, and stay under..pics inc..

micheldied

3 Year Member
Centipedes are pretty tough to find anywhere outside of Europe (even there, they aren't too common and very few dealers have them), apart from the usual Scolopendra subspinipes/deehani/polymorpha (in the US)/morsitans/alternans. And when you do find the rarer species, you usually pay a large premium for them. It's really hit or miss as to who has them and when.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
You could try Underground Reptiles. Their prices look decent, but I haven't come across any reviews, but they seem to ahve a good selection. Also, Jabberwock reptiles in MA, does ship. They have a list on their website that they update every Monday, but you can email or call to verify, and they respond quickly to emails (within 24 hours). I emailed them on my Tappie hunt, and they responded with what they would be able to get quickly.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just as a note to any T enthusiasts getting into scorpions: Don't rule out the smaller ones, or local scorps, in favor of the big black ones like Pandinus, Heterometrus, etc. Look into Buthidae. My biggest thrill these days is throwing red runner nymphs in an enclosure and watching my six gracilis babies emerge from holes in their cork, tails up and claws extended. Cutest thing in the world. Our common desert hairy scorp is also very active, and gets big. Don't try to keep those communally though. If you're going for attractive paint jobs, you can't beat the R junceus, or the B gigas/ B jacksoni. Gigas is the larger of the two, otherwise they look very similar. I'm very fond of my Tityus stigmurus's colors as well. Racing orange with a black stripe. Mean little girl though. I never knew scorpions could sting backwards, like a spearthrust...impressive:)

Arachnid dude

3 Year Member
I stumbled across a dealer on Facebook dunno if they are on here or not but Pinchers and Pokies Exotics LLC they have scorpions. I'm thinking of picking up an adult 1.2 trio of C.gracilis from them and start breeding. My first 'hot' US native scorpions was C.sculpturatus fun little buggers. A. bicolor is another buthid that's awesome too. The one scorpion that I had that would absolutely freak the freak was H. judaicus, all I had to do was walk by her enclosure and bam she was ready to take on the world....devil girl was what I called her.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pinchers and Pokies is great, thas where I got two of my gracilis, two C margaritatus, and a paucidens female :) I've heard Hottentotta have attitude problems. I have three jayakari coming today or tomorrow:p Guy named Umbra on FC sold me his last three adults :)

Arachnid dude

3 Year Member
Cool good to know about Pinchers and Pokies. Yes in my experience with Hottentotta they have major attitude problems, I've only had H.judaicus. The female I had was way worse in attitude than my Androctonus bicolor every thought about being. Cool on the jayakari I'm very interested on how they are attitude wise for you. Do you know the sexes of them?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I actually took a bunch, but unfortunately I live in the sticks and my signal has been throttled because I used all my data >.< Takes forever to upload a pic. I'll be posting tomorrow at work though :)

Arachnid dude

3 Year Member
I understand living in the sticks and having internet issues. We lived in the sticks way back when and dial up was the only internet available...man that was slow couldn't do anything forget trying to upload or download pics for that matter. Satellite was stupid $$$

Latest posts