• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Scorpion Talk :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice! Thanks :) Ok, I've been gathering wild caught scorpions (C vittatus) from around my house and the hospital I work at. I ranged a little farther out a few nights ago, and every specimen I found had orange mites. Some had just a few. Some were covered in them. I threw the cups away after releasing them. I then went home and checked the fifteen or so that I've gathered, and thankfully found none. I researched what info I could find, and discovered that you can buy H miles predatory mites that will kill them, you can try to remove them yourself, or desiccate the scorp, which btw has one of the best water retention cuticles of all inverts. Has anyone had experience with these orange mites? And what did you do? Apparently they're quite common on wc scorpions..in certain areas. all the other areas I catch them, near buildings and such, are completely clean of these little red orange parasites. Oh, I saw a thread about drowning the scorpion to kill the mites, but the scorpion doesn't die? I'll be reading further about that. Sounds crazy..

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Oh, those sound like they are parasitic mites in the genus Leptus, (see here: http://bugguide.net/node/view/91277), that suck the blood from your scorpions, they are found on a variety of arachnids.
I assume they look much like this?
6KHKNKZKTK5QRSVQJ0VQO01QLSGKOKIKCK5KTKIKPKPQT00KDKWQTKBQTKBQC05QT01Q1KBQAKAQAKXKF0AQAKHKD0.jpg

The predatory mites may help, but those themselves stress out certain invertebrates, and they'll decimate your springtail populations, if you have any. Still, gotta be better than having bloodsucking parasites all over you...
Hope you can get rid of them, never had the displeasure of seeing these mites in person, but they sound awful.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well mine are clean. I think. I read that you can't see the little ones. I looked at all of mine with a scope, as best as I could. But the ones I found in the brush looked just like your picture. I'm just concerned that there could be a few little ones lurking in my colony. I'm going to have to dry them out, for awhile. I was hoping someone who's dealt with them would chime in. I found very few actual discussions about them when I searched. I remember a more detailed thread I saw a long time ago and can't find it again..maybe I'll try again. I could have been having a brainfart when I searched I suppose:p Either way, all will be fed well and then deprived of water completely and then rationed out on food. I figure 3 weeks, then two weeks no food at all. Its a good plan, I think. Screw that old thread :p

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Well with these guys, feeding the scorpions less will do nothing, seeing as they feed on the scorpion's blood rather than leftover food like grain mites. Drying them out may help, but you would think they would get all the moisture they need from the scorpion's blood. Truly I think you would need to manually smash and remove any of the mites you see.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well hope for the best I suppose. I hate having to tail scorpions. Some dont take kindly to it :) @Kymura I just wanted to be sure before sending them to you. I wouldn't appreciate being sent scorpions with little bloodsuckers on them..like I said though, I don't see any on mine, and they're all fat and healthy looking.
I'll post pics when I get somewhere with a signal. I'm certain I have 3 gravid females. I candled the biggest girl and could see the shapes :) Wait til you see the pics :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are staying in the living room so no danger of crossing over to the T's even if they have a couple, I think I'm fairly certain you wouldn't deliberately send them full of mites :p

Master Odin

3 Year Member
Nice! Thanks :) Ok, I've been gathering wild caught scorpions (C vittatus) from around my house and the hospital I work at. I ranged a little farther out a few nights ago, and every specimen I found had orange mites. Some had just a few. Some were covered in them. I threw the cups away after releasing them. I then went home and checked the fifteen or so that I've gathered, and thankfully found none. I researched what info I could find, and discovered that you can buy H miles predatory mites that will kill them, you can try to remove them yourself, or desiccate the scorp, which btw has one of the best water retention cuticles of all inverts. Has anyone had experience with these orange mites? And what did you do? Apparently they're quite common on wc scorpions..in certain areas. all the other areas I catch them, near buildings and such, are completely clean of these little red orange parasites. Oh, I saw a thread about drowning the scorpion to kill the mites, but the scorpion doesn't die? I'll be reading further about that. Sounds crazy..
I cant even find scorpions where im at in florida

Latest posts