• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sand in my Ts terrarium???

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
This may be a stupid question but here it goes anyway. Would it be okay to add a little sand in my Aphonopelma Chalcodes’s enclosure? I have it on a mix of coco fiber and vermiculite right now, with about 80 percent of that being coco fiber. I was wanting to add a thin layer of sand on a small portion of the enclosure. Maybe 25 to 30 percent of the space.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Not sure what other members think but can't see it being comfortable on that. I know some keepers use a small ratio of fine sand mixed in with their substrate to aid drainage, but not as a walking surface. Maybe as you're just adding it to part of the enclosure you could get away with it, as your t can just avoid that area if it wishes, but I personally wouldn't.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When I was on vacation I made a detour one night to look for A. chalcodes. In the desert I was finding some of their burrows in sandy gravel material.

Latest posts