• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Same clutch breeding

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Can you breed tarantulas from the same clutch without risk of serious consequences. I understand that it would effectivly be interbreeding, but are there any hazards to doing this in terms of the spiderlings produced? I suppose in the wild it possibly happens as a course of nature but ive never known if its done in captivity. Obviously dogs as an example cant be bred if they are related due to health issues that can occur. Has anyone done it, even by accident or know someone that has. Im not going to do it, just curious as im keeping my 3 p.metalica slings communally.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's not really possible as males mature quicker than females, so in most cases the males will be dead before the female is ready. I guess it's natures way of stopping interbreeding.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i agree but the next generation has the possibility of breeding with the mother since tarantulas usually do not travel that far from home in their lifetime. The truth is no one really knows what the consequences are and how often (if at all) it happens in the wild.

Latest posts