• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sad TARANTULA

Kuuvang

Ever since spring semester of college got done, and getting advice on which species of tarantula to get as a beginner.

Recently came cross this very sad Avicularia avicularia that sits at petsmart. Literally I was surprise it was alive for such a long time. From the mid of April all the way until now. Pretty sure it would have die. Sadly, its abdomen is growing smaller each week goes by.Enclosures obviously sucks, since arboreal like a taller enclosure.

I was wondering if Avicularia avicularia is okay for a beginner? I am currently doing research on arboreals for this little spider. Atm I'm just waiting for reptile expo to go buy a terrestrial tarantula, which I prefer.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I see petsmart come up a lot from our US friends with Ts being housed incorrectly. A fundamental issue with their staff/informatuon/general care by the looks of it and something that runs through the whole company ethos (in a bad way). Such a shame. I hope there is a happy ending.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The biggest no no with avics is excess humidity. Use an elevated waterdish & a very well ventilated cage & I don't think you'll have any issues.

Minimize handling especially since they can jump & squirt you with poo.

C versicolor Charles cool cage 2.jpg

This is how I did my C versicolor cage. I don't own a pink toe (full disclosure) but the requirements are basically identical.

An ExoTerra nano tall enclosure is pictured.

A purpurea is on my bucket list.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My C versicolor (a former avic) has stopped trying to get onto my hand lately. He seems to be just a tad bit more defensive, but also is far less shy and hangs out in plain sight on the side of the enclosure in his web.

Basically I just drop food in from the top, a nice advantage with this cage which opens both from the top and the side.

Latest posts