• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

S. Javanensis house

Chingz

3 Year Member
So, I got this S. Javanensis sling (less than 2inches).
It arrived in a tube and the breeder said I can use it for the T's enclo.
I don't have many idea for this species' requirement. I looked around the net and couldn't find many info/tips abt this T.
So I don't know if this guy prefer to stay above the ground / burrow as long as it lived / hide down there until adulthood then go up.
I just know its not arboreal.

Well, I'll just play it safe. I'll give it plenty peat to burrow if it want to.
And spaghnum to moisten up.

Aaaand, it make tunnels down & messing up the spaghnumm. Now I can't see my Javan. Lolz.

The pic below, the small tube was the shipment enclo (I re-used it as a place for mealworm).
The taller one is my T's enclo. I used a fastfood plastic glass with the cap.

I don't know will this be enough peat, height or anything. I just hope its enough for the sling.

Attachments

• DSC_0015.JPG
    DSC_0015.JPG
    583.7 KB · Views: 30

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They're terrestrial, almost fossorial, they're like a B. albo and love to burrow, i've also read they're more aggressive and faster than an OBT.

Moist substrate for burrowing, you'll want an enclosure about 3x the leg span, so maybe 6 inches or so wide, and probably 4-6 inches of substrate.

If you give them a hide and less room to burrow they say they'll stay out in the open a bit more and use the hide rather than be underground all the time. They're one of the more moist T's 80%+ humidity and mist regularly.

They'd probably live in that enclosure you have, but i'd upgrade them to something larger as soon as you can.

Oh and the common name is Java Yellow Knee, you might find more info looking that up.

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
Selenocosmia genus is reported to have some of the most potent venom of all old worlds as well so caution is advised. I just received an adult female S. samarae and have to rehouse it. Not looking forward to that adventure.

Chingz

3 Year Member
This one moved easily from the shipment tube. It just sashayed away, while I was sweating like pig (I always thought I'll got myself a Chaco / Braz Black / Curlyhair. Slower, quieter, bigger, better for beginner, but noooo.. I got myself an OW as my first T). (>____<)

I did it in my closed bathroom as its my smallest and emptiest room.. XD

As for the speed, yes it made me very jumpy when I saw it moved (zhoooomed) inside the shipment tube when it was surprised. It surprised me also, almost made me cry when I was in the beginning process of rehousing it.

I got confused with the common name as some said its a yellow knee, and others said its an earth tiger.

And I will be looking for a better enclosure after my mom returns from her a-month-long trip, I havent told her and she disliked spiders and reptiles in general.
And still unsure about how to catch this one when I have to.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd use the bottle method. cut the bottom off a 2 litre bottle, then "try" and get the T into the top half with the cap on. then cover the big opening with cardboard or something so it can't get out. To release it remove the cap and nudge it out.

I hope it works as easy as it sounds ;)

Chingz

3 Year Member
I'd use the bottle method. cut the bottom off a 2 litre bottle, then "try" and get the T into the top half with the cap on. then cover the big opening with cardboard or something so it can't get out. To release it remove the cap and nudge it out.

I hope it works as easy as it sounds ;)

I mean how to coax it when its still in the burrow. Hahahha..
I agree its a good way to move the T, but well, I don't want to destroy its burrow just to coax it out

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I mean how to coax it when its still in the burrow. Hahahha..
I agree its a good way to move the T, but well, I don't want to destroy its burrow just to coax it out
you don't ;) they're a burrowing spider, you probably won't see them much. You can feed them a little less often to kind of make them come out more, or put a tube or something in the middle of the enclosure to force them to burrow against the wall so you can see them anytime.

Chingz

3 Year Member
A little update.

My T dug around and re-arrange the cocopeat and the circular bottom part was 90% visible, 1-2 cm height in clear sight.
I sprayed the top soil and the sphagnum till it was 1 cm wet soil. The rest was dry. I also didn't give waterdish inside the container.
Sometimes the T closes the hole because I sprayed too much I think, because it open the hole again in the morn..

I put my T container and the worm container inside a medium container filled with 2cm water to avoid ants..
My concern now, since the bottom part was submerged, it always have condensations. I hope its nothing. Since I didnt give any waterdish to my sling.
:)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i'd let it dry out fully. then put it back. The T can drink from the condensation if it wants too. as long it's not continuously wet so it doesn't grow mold or fungi it should be okay. What about putting something in that enclosure for the T's enclosure to sit on so it's out of the water? It would be safe from the ants and eliminate the excess moisture.

Chingz

3 Year Member
i'd let it dry out fully. then put it back. The T can drink from the condensation if it wants too. as long it's not continuously wet so it doesn't grow mold or fungi it should be okay. What about putting something in that enclosure for the T's enclosure to sit on so it's out of the water? It would be safe from the ants and eliminate the excess moisture.

Ooohhhh.. Good ideaaa... Put someting so the enclo wont submerged fully..
And I did let it out as long as I was with it (fri-sun). After that I dip it again..

Chingz

3 Year Member
Friday night I decided to rehouse my Javan, it was quite small for the T. And I have small problem with teeeny tiny whitey insects..
I feed it before I rehouse.
I scooped the peat till I reached the bottom, I was afraid it will run somewhere else, but it just walked fast down the glass to the new jar.

Taa-daaa... The jar was a little bit too big for the T. And I dug a small hole for it to burrow but it refused.
And now its hiding somewhere. I cannot see it any longer. And it webbed too. Hmm...
I threw 2 small worms for

Attachments

• CYMERA_20160917_143518.jpg
    CYMERA_20160917_143518.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts