• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

S. calceatum and H. maculata

VaporRyder

Hi Guys,

I’m interested in any experience people may have of these two African arboreal species.

I would like to own an H. mac, in particular, at some point - so I’m canvassing people who have owned and kept them for their insight.

Cheers for your input!

timc

3 Year Member
So, I haven’t kept either of these species either, but as the incomparable @octanejunkie said, the husbandry is pretty straight forward and they’re both quite secretive, so give them plenty of places to hide. The real key to keeping advanced tarantulas is to expect (and prepare for) the unexpected. I’ve seen an adult S. cal bolt

timc

3 Year Member
Damn, wrong button lol

Anyway, an adult S. cal bolting is nothing to play with, but so long as you do your homework, study, and prepare for test day (basically any time the enclosure is open lol) a responsible person can keep them with no problems. Catch cups handy, long tongs, long sleeves and thick gloves might not hurt either lol.

Also I believe both species are pretty capable jumpers so keep that in mind at all times as well.

Both are quite skittish and reclusive, H. maculata rarely comes out at night. My S. calceatum always comes out as soon as the lights are turned off. I've found that they have a more aggressive feeding response than H. maculata. They also grow faster and get bigger. I've never seen outright aggressive behavior from either species, but I know of some people that have very defensive specimens. In my experience they're very shy and sensitive to light. The key is giving them plenty of places to hide so that they can retreat when threatened instead of bolting or being defensive. Be careful during rehousings though- they are lightning fast.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've got females of both. Super secluded spiders. When they are out they blend in so well you don't even recognize them. Speed wise they may be faster then a Poecilotheria but not as fast as a Pseudoclamoris gigas. Both are highly recommended but for none skittish people only.

prince charmless

Both are quite skittish and reclusive, H. maculata rarely comes out at night. My S. calceatum always comes out as soon as the lights are turned off. I've found that they have a more aggressive feeding response than H. maculata. They also grow faster and get bigger. I've never seen outright aggressive behavior from either species, but I know of some people that have very defensive specimens. In my experience they're very shy and sensitive to light. The key is giving them plenty of places to hide so that they can retreat when threatened instead of bolting or being defensive. Be careful during rehousings though- they are lightning fast.
My H. Mac I have had for about 6 months. In that time it has molted once. It was about 1.75" before the molt, but I RARELY see it. Hopefully as it grows I will see more of it. It is a very beautiful species. I do not have an S. Calceatum yet. Perhaps some day. Next on my wishlist is P. Metallica, C. Fimbriatus and P. Cambridgei

My H. Mac I have had for about 6 months. In that time it has molted once. It was about 1.75" before the molt, but I RARELY see it. Hopefully as it grows I will see more of it. It is a very beautiful species. I do not have an S. Calceatum yet. Perhaps some day. Next on my wishlist is P. Metallica, C. Fimbriatus and P. Cambridgei
If you have the chance in the future, definitely a species worth getting. They're really beautiful in person. Underappreciated in my opinion.

Latest posts