• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

rubber boas

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Talking with a friend of mine at work, and found out that Rubber Boas (Charina bottae) can be found a stone's throw from my house. She has 2 they've been raising for a few years that her and her daughter found on a hike.

Since i can't afford buying a scorpion or snake right now, i'm thinking this might be the way to go for another pet type :) I have the XL KK's i can keep one in, which reading various care sheets should be large enough for a single adult. Since they're native here they don't need a heat lamp, room temps are fine. They actually get moody if the temps are over 85, kinda like me :D So basically some substrate, typically mulch i'm seeing, and a water dish is all they need.

Anyone here have experience with these that can give some insight or tricks?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looked it up, cool snakes:) I dont remember seeing these listed when I was looking at snakes and prices.
I haven't either. Kind of odd though. They're very docile, never bite but will do the musk if they feel threatened. They're small though, only growing up to about 2 ft or so.

I've got everything I need right here for their enclosure, so in the next couple weeks I'll be going snake hunting. Hopefully I can find a young one.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just got a text from my nephew, he found me a present. He left it on my desk in my room.
MF Aphonopelma anax. Finally got a female :)
V__D0E2.jpg

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice!

Raining here, off and on all day today so far. supposed to rain all weekend so there goes my snake hunting trip :( Now i'll have to wait an extra weekend for things to dry out so i can take the jeep up in the hills.

Arachnid dude

3 Year Member
Talking with a friend of mine at work, and found out that Rubber Boas (Charina bottae) can be found a stone's throw from my house. She has 2 they've been raising for a few years that her and her daughter found on a hike.

Since i can't afford buying a scorpion or snake right now, i'm thinking this might be the way to go for another pet type :) I have the XL KK's i can keep one in, which reading various care sheets should be large enough for a single adult. Since they're native here they don't need a heat lamp, room temps are fine. They actually get moody if the temps are over 85, kinda like me :D So basically some substrate, typically mulch i'm seeing, and a water dish is all they need.

Anyone here have experience with these that can give some insight or tricks?

Rubber boas are cool little snakes. Many years ago when I was living in a small town at the base of Mt. Rainier we saw them. The one I collected was an adult and I kept it in a 10 gallon naturalistic tank, room temp. I kept for a year and then I released it back where I collected it at (which was at the end of my property). I fed mice and small rat pups. Very docile snake, never once attempted bit/strike although it did musk me when I field collected it.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Rubber boas are cool little snakes. Many years ago when I was living in a small town at the base of Mt. Rainier we saw them. The one I collected was an adult and I kept it in a 10 gallon naturalistic tank, room temp. I kept for a year and then I released it back where I collected it at (which was at the end of my property). I fed mice and small rat pups. Very docile snake, never once attempted bit/strike although it did musk me when I field collected it.
THey say they're the most docile snake there is. and they love coiling around your wrist for the warmth from your skin. I got to hold one this past weekend from the friend of mine that found 2 of them. 1 adult one sub adult. Problem is they're super picky eaters in captivity. They spend most of their lives in burrows of mice and other rodents so getting them to eat in an enclosure is a challenge. However once they figure out where the food is coming from they can be very aggressive eaters. Her adult has to be distracted if you're going to hold it. Then once it's distracted you can gently run your fingers along it's back and it will crawl up and coil around your wrist. If you don't distract it, it thinks your fingers are pinky mice ;) It's never bitten anyone, but headbutts and scares the piss out of you.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good news!! for me mabye ;) The person here at work i've been talking with about her rubber boas and catching them etc. is looking to give her 2 away. Her teenage daughter is bored of them now because they're not very active.... So her daughter is asking a good friend of hers if he wants them and if not, they're mine :D Enclosures and frozen pinky mice included so i don't have to buy anything for a while.

Super hyped, and I know i shouldn't be 'cause this kid friend of her daughter's was really wanting them, but there's this chance that kid's parents will say no :)

Latest posts