• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rosie moulted a while ago, hasn't started eating again. Worried

Quandry

3 Year Member
I was a bit weird and got a Rosie after already owning several other species. I know Rosies can be weird and go into very long pre-moults, but my Snuggles (juvenile) moulted weeks ago and still has not eaten. It used to be a very voracious eater and was quite active (especially for a 'pet rock'). I've checked it over, and I see no signs that the moult was bad in any way. It can move just fine. It is acting much more like a typical Rosie now, staying in the hide more (webbed the entrance over). That doesn't worry me so much as the fact that it has been a bit over a month, and nothing has been eaten at all. I've tried both roaches and crickets. Is this normal for Rosies? All my other Ts take a week, two at most, before they are ready to gobble down everything I give them.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree. Just make sure it has water at all times and offer her food every week or so until she eats...she will eventually give her some time to recoup.

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Welcome to G. porteri keeping... Like @Entity said, provide water and weekly food offerings, it'll eat... Eventually lol I'm lucky mine is really young and still eats like a pig I'm waiting for the day that it goes on ours expected hunger strike lol

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to G. porteri keeping... Like @Entity said, provide water and weekly food offerings, it'll eat... Eventually lol I'm lucky mine is really young and still eats like a pig I'm waiting for the day that it goes on ours expected hunger strike lol
thats may never happen. i hear a lot about ones that eat well all the time. just more often than not they decide their abdomens look fat.

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
I was a bit weird and got a Rosie after already owning several other species. I know Rosies can be weird and go into very long pre-moults, but my Snuggles (juvenile) moulted weeks ago and still has not eaten. It used to be a very voracious eater and was quite active (especially for a 'pet rock'). I've checked it over, and I see no signs that the moult was bad in any way. It can move just fine. It is acting much more like a typical Rosie now, staying in the hide more (webbed the entrance over). That doesn't worry me so much as the fact that it has been a bit over a month, and nothing has been eaten at all. I've tried both roaches and crickets. Is this normal for Rosies? All my other Ts take a week, two at most, before they are ready to gobble down everything I give them.
Very normal. Sometimes I wonder if mine will ever eat. She's an adult and does not eat much. Just make sure she has water.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Glad to hear it, just try to remember, if you think its acting abnormally, its perfectly normal for them :p

Latest posts