• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Roach party in the castle

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I have recently bought 6 Madagascan Hissing Roaches to keep as pets :) I have given them a haunted castle I found in the fish tank decor section. I hope it is safe for them, I also rinsed it in hot water. I thought they weren't interested but then finally I spotted Mundungus exploring :D

Mundung on castle - Copy.JPG

The castle had antennae.
anten - Copy.JPG

A bit later on it had 4 antennae, so he must have invited a friend :p
4 atenae - Copy.JPG

Spiders&Snakes

that is the coolest thing i have seen in ages

can we be friends already

i've said it before and i'll say it again, you are just my kinda person

have you kept hissers before? let me know how you get on

i looked after them when i worked at the zoo (6 years ago now) and was always a bit scared of them

i think the media is partly to blame.... we are always told ****roaches are dirty and evil!

gotta love media brainwashing

Gizalba

3 Year Member

i looked after them when i worked at the zoo (6 years ago now) and was always a bit scared of them

i think the media is partly to blame.... we are always told ****roaches are dirty and evil!

Haha, seeing them in the castle makes me so happy for some reason, glad you like it :p

No I've never kept them before, they have been with me a few weeks. I didn't see the appeal at first but then I wanted an invert I could handle frequently and was less delicate than a jumping spider. Only two of them are big enough to be handled at the moment really as the others are very skittish. I think their 'giant' adult size helps me see them as cute. Like tarantulas the bigger they are the more I seem to like them as you can see their features better.

I have some friends who hate the roaches as they have been brought up in countries where roach infestations in houses are common, so I can understand that putting people off. These ones are tropical and apparently not classed as pests. I do get annoyed at tarantulas and roaches being represented so badly in horror movies though :p For me the 'creepyness' does start to kick in when tons of them are piled together but that is the same with humans haha.

Spiders&Snakes

Haha, seeing them in the castle makes me so happy for some reason, glad you like it :p

No I've never kept them before, they have been with me a few weeks. I didn't see the appeal at first but then I wanted an invert I could handle frequently and was less delicate than a jumping spider. Only two of them are big enough to be handled at the moment really as the others are very skittish. I think their 'giant' adult size helps me see them as cute. Like tarantulas the bigger they are the more I seem to like them as you can see their features better.

I have some friends who hate the roaches as they have been brought up in countries where roach infestations in houses are common, so I can understand that putting people off. These ones are tropical and apparently not classed as pests. I do get annoyed at tarantulas and roaches being represented so badly in horror movies though :p For me the 'creepyness' does start to kick in when tons of them are piled together but that is the same with humans haha.
Yeah, i actually totally agree with you. When certain animals (humans included) are in a massive numbers it's a creepy thing. Same goes for crickets, roaches, mice, anything really. One individual creature, I am fine. Throw 200 of them together and suddenly I am not so fine. Weird. It's a psychological flaw, I'm sure. I like to try and tackle my fears head on.

Would you believe that once I was afraid of snakes. After I got my zoology degree, got a pet python and then got a job at the zoo, I quickly got over my fear and even got promoted. The media brainwashing is ruining society as a whole. I just spoke to a friend who said she won't be visiting my house now she knows I have tarantulas. I mean... how sad is that?!

We are on the versicolor journey together. Maybe at some point I will get some hissers too, and we can be on that journey also. I keep crickets and dubias, so a few hissers probably wouldnt be a big jump.

Let me know how you get on, and maybe I can be convinced...

Poppy2020

3 Year Member
Aw...if you lived closer I would love to adopt out a single male (pet) hisser I have. He’s currently residing with my young dubia colony. I’m certain he would love to join the party and make new friends.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Aw...if you lived closer I would love to adopt out a single male (pet) hisser I have. He’s currently residing with my young dubia colony. I’m certain he would love to join the party and make new friends.

Aw :( The single male would be very welcome to join if we were in the same country! I do wonder if they will start having sexy parties in the castle when they are older :p

Poppy2020

3 Year Member
Aw :( The single male would be very welcome to join if we were in the same country! I do wonder if they will start having sexy parties in the castle when they are older :p
Hissers are awesome! And I’m sure Ernie would love to join in on the sexy castle parties! Poor bub, all alone w the dubia youngsters—- I’m going to have to remove him bc I’ve read that they are known to be very territorial and will actually devour small dubias :(

Gardez

Yeah sometimes people are stupid. My opinion.

Spiders&Snakes

Yeah sometimes people are stupid. My opinion.
I mean... I think when we are young we are all "stupid" because we accept the brainwashing

Its only when we decide to STOP and make up our own minds that we actually step out of that brainwashed state

I remember when I was afraid of arachnids and snakes

It would take a series of experiences of not realising that they mean us any harm at all, to then become a reptile curator and arachnid keeper

had i not had those exepriences, I would be the same as everyone else

it's up to us, in the hobby, to help educate the masses... because they don't know any better

Gardez

I mean... I think when we are young we are all "stupid" because we accept the brainwashing

Its only when we decide to STOP and make up our own minds that we actually step out of that brainwashed state

I remember when I was afraid of arachnids and snakes

It would take a series of experiences of not realising that they mean us any harm at all, to then become a reptile curator and arachnid keeper

had i not had those exepriences, I would be the same as everyone else

it's up to us, in the hobby, to help educate the masses... because they don't know any better
Cool thoughts:) Yeah think self and be yourself

Latest posts