• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Roach breeding problems - please help!

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I don't understand why I can't breed the red runners - I thought they were hard NOT to breed? Lol. Here are the pictures of my set up. It has been over 6 weeks now since the first oothecas were laid, and still nothing :(

I feel like the eggs may be drying up or being eaten. So a few days ago I did move the enclosure side-on to the heater instead of having it along the back of the ootheca boxes, just in case the heat from the radiator was making them dry up? I have also been putting some water droplets in the oothecas more recently. But I can't think of anything else to do. Any ideas?

The radiator keeps that half of the enclosure at about 23-25 degrees Celsius in the day. And they always have access to both dry food and high water content fruit/veg.

CIMG4639.JPG

CIMG4638.JPG

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Your too cold...they won't breed very fast at those temps. I run around 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit or 29-32 Celsius. I have mine on 2" of coco fiber, I wet down one side once a week. Theres a trick to keeping just enough humidity without everything molding. I dont use a top on my roach bin...it works for my setup but might not work for everyone else.

Last edited:

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Your too cold...they won't breed very fast at those temps. I run around 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit or 29-32 Celsius. I have mine on 2" of coco fiber, I wet down one side once a week. Theres a trick to keeping just enough humidity without everything molding. I dont use a top on my roach bin...it works for my setup but might not work for everyone else.

Thanks so much! And thank you for the pictures too that's really helpful :) How do you heat them? Do you use a large heat mat?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks so much! And thank you for the pictures too that's really helpful :) How do you heat them? Do you use a large heat mat?

I use a heat mat under half the size of my tubs lid, I then place it on the lid. That allows them heat, but also some cooler areas. I do not keep red runners, but my hissers & Dubia have bred really well like this.

New2T’s

3 Year Member
I have same issue. My Dubias breed fine. I’ve had red runners for two years and have only had nymphs once!!! I thought red runners were the easy ones to breed and the Dubias were suppose to be harder.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I have same issue. My Dubias breed fine. I’ve had red runners for two years and have only had nymphs once!!! I thought red runners were the easy ones to breed and the Dubias were suppose to be harder.

Very strange, thanks for sharing that info. I take it you keep the dubias in the same way with the same heat as your red runners? I may indeed try dubias at some point.

G300

Yes, they are kept the same.
I don't understand why I can't breed the red runners - I thought they were hard NOT to breed? Lol. Here are the pictures of my set up. It has been over 6 weeks now since the first oothecas were laid, and still nothing :(

I feel like the eggs may be drying up or being eaten. So a few days ago I did move the enclosure side-on to the heater instead of having it along the back of the ootheca boxes, just in case the heat from the radiator was making them dry up? I have also been putting some water droplets in the oothecas more recently. But I can't think of anything else to do. Any ideas?

The radiator keeps that half of the enclosure at about 23-25 degrees Celsius in the day. And they always have access to both dry food and high water content fruit/veg.

View attachment 51322

View attachment 51323
I agree with arachnoclown temps need to be mid/high 80s I generally don't go over 90 as they breed very quick in the 80s and everyone has their own ways I personally use bran for substrate coirs fine too I just find the bran easier to work with I use an inch or two in the bottom with vertical egg trays and always have dry food fruit or veg and water crystals available all the time and find the humidity is fine for moulting/hatching and I've used a temp/humidity gauge to check I've never sprayed but again lots of people do so I've put a few pics of my Roach bins including a small one I use for nymphs to save me sorting them every time I feed my spiderlings

Attachments

• IMG_20201111_214217.jpg
    IMG_20201111_214217.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20201106_000141.jpg
    IMG_20201106_000141.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20201111_214043.jpg
    IMG_20201111_214043.jpg
    865.3 KB · Views: 12

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I agree with arachnoclown temps need to be mid/high 80s I generally don't go over 90 as they breed very quick in the 80s and everyone has their own ways I personally use bran for substrate coirs fine too I just find the bran easier to work with I use an inch or two in the bottom with vertical egg trays and always have dry food fruit or veg and water crystals available all the time and find the humidity is fine for moulting/hatching and I've used a temp/humidity gauge to check I've never sprayed but again lots of people do so I've put a few pics of my Roach bins including a small one I use for nymphs to save me sorting them every time I feed my spiderlings

Thanks very much for the pics and advice!

Latest posts