• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

RIP Terra. You will be missed more than you can ever imagine.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This afternoon, while feeding the Ts, I noticed that Terra (our female T. blondi) was at the same exact location than when she came out of her den yesterday. I offered her a dubia and when I noticed she didn’t react I tapped on her leg. Unfortunately she had passed away. No injury, no visible parasites, no death curl and obviously she wasn’t starving and wasn’t dehydrated.
She was Enzo’s second T and his favorite. She had been with him for half of his life, 5 years and was about 2” when we welcomed her in our house. I am still lacking the courage to let him know or to turn off the light schedule on her enclosure.
Even as I try to convince myself she was just a bug, it is really hard and I sincerely hope she enjoyed her time with us and the love and attention we gave her.
4F22F289-817F-4867-91A2-091A0374C49C.jpeg

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm so sorry you and Enzo have lost Terra. It sounds as though it was just one of nature's cruel tricks. :(

MBullock

3 Year Member
How frequent were the feedings? the problem with this genus is you can accidentally powerfeed them really easily and shorten their lifespan, it's because they never refuse food, normally. Photoperiods play a role too, for most tarantulas, a lengthy light cycle and short dark cycle will increase lifespan, so long as it can burrow or hide comfortably

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How frequent were the feedings? the problem with this genus is you can accidentally powerfeed them really easily and shorten their lifespan, it's because they never refuse food, normally. Photoperiods play a role too, for most tarantulas, a lengthy light cycle and short dark cycle will increase lifespan, so long as it can burrow or hide
Hi,
She would go quite a long time without eating. I usually would go with the entrance of her den. If webbed up I would leave her in peace, if open with her waiting at the entrance I would offer food. She had an adult female dubia about a week ago and before that nothing for about a month. During winter here in the north east, I usually keep the room in the low 70s and she spends more time in her burrow than she does during the warmer month when the space is usually in the 80s. She came out Saturday morning and was moving around, looking totally normal. If it wasn't for me offering her food yesterday I would have never imagined she was gone as she just looked like she was alive.
Although she was a good eater, she wouldn't hesitate to refuse food from time to time, even when not in premolt.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
, brother. I'm sure Enzo knows the drill by now; life includes loss, and if we're lucky, love.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Hi,
She would go quite a long time without eating. I usually would go with the entrance of her den. If webbed up I would leave her in peace, if open with her waiting at the entrance I would offer food. She had an adult female dubia about a week ago and before that nothing for about a month. During winter here in the north east, I usually keep the room in the low 70s and she spends more time in her burrow than she does during the warmer month when the space is usually in the 80s. She came out Saturday morning and was moving around, looking totally normal. If it wasn't for me offering her food yesterday I would have never imagined she was gone as she just looked like she was alive.
Although she was a good eater, she wouldn't hesitate to refuse food from time to time, even when not in premolt.
yeah i hate it when they die in a lifelike pose.. only other thing i can think of is just old age or parasitic infection

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Poor lady. She is beautiful. Big girl, too. I hope Enz is okay, bless his heart. Hopefully you find the courage to tell him. Maybe try replacing her with another female blondi?

Sbirtell1

This afternoon, while feeding the Ts, I noticed that Terra (our female T. blondi) was at the same exact location than when she came out of her den yesterday. I offered her a dubia and when I noticed she didn’t react I tapped on her leg. Unfortunately she had passed away. No injury, no visible parasites, no death curl and obviously she wasn’t starving and wasn’t dehydrated.
She was Enzo’s second T and his favorite. She had been with him for half of his life, 5 years and was about 2” when we welcomed her in our house. I am still lacking the courage to let him know or to turn off the light schedule on her enclosure.
Even as I try to convince myself she was just a bug, it is really hard and I sincerely hope she enjoyed her time with us and the love and attention we gave her.
View attachment 65175
I’m very sorry for your loss.

Ralphie

View attachment 65175
I am so sorry to hear this, they become a big part of our life.

Latest posts