• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rexpo 2021

Jeef

3 Year Member
Speaking to you Northeasterners. Anyone going to Rexpo 2021 in Rochester NY? 'Tis the biggest one on the East coast if the website is to be believed. I've never been to one of these before, should be fun. Setting a strict budget for myself and only using cash. We'll see how it goes.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello friend and welcome top the Forum. Queens here ;)
I have been to many of them in both locations (they alternate with LI), just be ready for a very very crowded place. The earlier you'll get there the better as you'll spend less time in line to get in and usually can get the most choice in Ts. Later on the day, towards the end you have less choice but it is also the best time to get some bargains on vendors trying to get rid of stocks. Wear a mask and be safe, I'll wait a bit longer before getting back to those ;)
Cheers.

Jeef

3 Year Member
This was just Ok. It was a Reptile expo so I wasn't expecting much. There were TONS of A. chalcodes and A. seemanii. Interestingly, very few vendors used the scientific names. Lots of slings, but I'm not really into those. I passed on an adult G. rosea. I almost regret that. I saw my first solifugae in person, that was kinda neat.

If you needed enclosures or things like cork bark to put in them, this was the place to be! Lots of pythons, lots of geckos, a few axlotl dealers (I'd love one, just not right now.) a few beardie vendors. Everything else was a mixed bag. A blue tongued skink here, a milk snake there. Nothing too crazy. I wasn't sorry I went, but I wouldn't consider it mandatory either.

Get there early is no joke. The line was huge at 09:15 and doors didn't open until 10:00.

@ Oursapoil - Off topic, but I used to have friends in Sunnyside. About 20 years ago there was a killer falafel place near 52nd and Bliss.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This was just Ok. It was a Reptile expo so I wasn't expecting much. There were TONS of A. chalcodes and A. seemanii. Interestingly, very few vendors used the scientific names. Lots of slings, but I'm not really into those. I passed on an adult G. rosea. I almost regret that. I saw my first solifugae in person, that was kinda neat.

If you needed enclosures or things like cork bark to put in them, this was the place to be! Lots of pythons, lots of geckos, a few axlotl dealers (I'd love one, just not right now.) a few beardie vendors. Everything else was a mixed bag. A blue tongued skink here, a milk snake there. Nothing too crazy. I wasn't sorry I went, but I wouldn't consider it mandatory either.

Get there early is no joke. The line was huge at 09:15 and doors didn't open until 10:00.

@ Oursapoil - Off topic, but I used to have friends in Sunnyside. About 20 years ago there was a killer falafel place near 52nd and Bliss.
So much has changed around here in the past 20 years, you wouldn't believe it!!!!
Glad you had a good time at the expo, have no regrets about things you might have missed, you get a lot more choice and opportunities on this forum ;)

yaunti

I know I am commenting on an older post but I am planning on going to rexpo in Rochester, NY on April 2nd after I get out of work. Do you think I'll have issues finding an adult female Eupalaestrus Campestratus there? I've been looking for my first T since January but all I'm finding are slings of the E.C. and it's the only reason I'm going to rexpo. The Chalcodes and Seemanni seem pretty common in this area.

Jeef

3 Year Member
I'm going at doors open. I couldn't say one way or the other what they'll have. It never hurts to look.

If you don't see one, I'd definitely ask the vendors if they can get one. They are more than likely connected enough to turn one up if they don't have one.

Jeef

3 Year Member
Rexpo 2022 was awesome! Way better selection of tarantulas this year. Everyone was using scientific names this year as well. There were a few places that had common names with the scientific name under it.

This year everyone had Grammostola pulchras. Slings and juvies. I passed on a Pterinopelma sazimai because I didn't know how to take care of it. I'm kinda bummed about that one. Same with the Hapalopus sp colombia. I got a bit overwhelmed because I kept finding things.

I ended up scoring a juvie Brachypelma hamorii. I may have a lead on one of my wish list tarantulas. As it stands, it is looking like I might be trying to find some more space soon here.

Jeef

3 Year Member
Going to Rexpo again on 11/05/22. I have a shopping list this time. We'll see what happens!

Jeef

3 Year Member
Lots of juvies and adult tarantulas this year. Pretty decent variety. There were two vendors practically giving away A. hentzi and T. albo slings. They were going for $10 ea. It was 50-50 on the scientific vs. common names. I managed say an A. geniculata was a Nhandu chromatus. That was pretty embarrassing. I was on my way out the door after not finding anything on my list and saw a vendor I must have missed. He had GBB slings, so I scored one of those. I was hoping for some B. lats and no one had them. That struck me as weird. The only other feeder I didn't see there were crickets.

Latest posts