• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Reusing substrate and hides

Nurse Ratchet

Is it acceptable to reuse substrate and/or hides? I rehoused my juvenile T. vagans from a 10 gallon to something more size appropriate. (It was my 1st set up, don't judge me too harshly). I hate to waste good substrate and have almost 4 gallons terra aranea left over from that set up as well as a cork round. Can I use it in future set ups for other T's? Should I bake it even though there were no noted issues just to be safe? Will the hairs from the T vagan that may be present cause a reaction to a different species T?
Thanks!

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a large plastic bin I put the substrate from all my old enclosures in. I remove the cork barks and hides that I wash individually as well as any webbing. All the substrate goes in the bin and it is mixed over time (I often need to add some to it as well considering the constant increase in need due to the enclosures getting bigger and bigger).
This is one of the reason why I like glass enclosures so much, they can be scrubbed and reused indefinitely without scratching, dulling or yellowing. I even watch and reuse all my two oz plastic deli cups I use for watering.

Last edited:

Tarantulafeets

Reusing it is perfectly fine, just make sure to use gloves, you have to watch out for hairs. I have even heard of whole enclosures being reused before, I think someone put a pokey in their old P irminia's enclosure and it worked out well, you just have to make sure that they have the same living style.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Reusing substrate is a great idea. In warmer months I had been mixing it into my mom's garden. I have switched to a more expensive brand, so maybe I will give reusing a try. I still have some straight coconut fiber I could use in the garden.

Latest posts