• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Resin water dishes.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How do others find these? I have several from different brands & of different sizes & none of them seem to be capable of holding water, not for even a few hours.

I stopped using these commercial dishes for this reason & now have a small collection of them in a carrier bag. These I mainly acquired with the T's, as part of a complete set up, when I brought T's off places like preloved etc. Yesterday I brought a G Rosea home with a lovely setup & topped the pre-emptied (for travel) water dish up when I got home, a few hours later & it's empty again, yet a dish, (a peanut butter lid,) in the tank next to it, still contains water almost a week after I cleaned it & topped it up. I had forgotten how useless these dishes are. Or is it just me? Or don't I know the trick required to make them hold water?

I have thought of using some silicone sealant on the base, to see if that will work. as I have seen plenty of people using silicone within their T's enclosures for various jobs.

81c.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Most of my larger ones are pretty old now but always worked well when I had my snakes in fact I currently have one in use in my Royal Python's vivarium which still holds water for up to a week. I did buy a batch of tiny ones when I started keeping slings and they were terrible, as you say empty after a few hours.
Maybe they have changed something in the way they are made or the material used.
I now use lemon juice bottle lids for slings, coffee jar lids for larger Ts and and for the big ones I use the non-tippable water bowls that are sold for small mammals (hamsters etc) feed bowls.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
for the big ones I use the non-tippable water bowls that are sold for small mammals (hamsters etc) feed bowls.

That is a great idea. I am generally using old lids, of differing sizes. And with some I have more than one water dish in the enclosure, as they like to move them about, or bury them.

Coradams

I gave up on the resin dishes also. All it takes is a little bedding or webbing to wick the water out in a short time. Shallow dishes seem to work better on reptile carpet than fluffy coco fiber. For adults, I get the little glass condiment bowls from Walmart. They come a set of four and are will hold water for days. For slings, I use Legos or bottle caps. I keep a cup of water and a pipette on the shelf with my ts and add water if needed when I do my daily check of everyone.

Hydra

I just use bead containers myself , thay come in many sizes are cheap, clear, easy to clean and replace . The lids are good for slings and the container itself is good for adults. Can be found at walmart, hobby stores or Amazon.

Attachments

• 1600303185243279022115.jpg
    1600303185243279022115.jpg
    956.9 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts