• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Reports of Faux H. Chilense (Chilensis)

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I have seen a posting of past sales of apparent false H. Chilesis ( now scientifically called Chilense I believe) elsewhere and was wondering if anyone else has seen them.

I have limited access to Facebook and just now have requested admittance to a tarantula group to hopefully get more info.

I am trying not to fuel rumors or prevent the sale of legitimate chilense, but I bought a few in April and as an already anxious type person, it has raised concerns.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have seen a posting of past sales of apparent false H. Chilesis ( now scientifically called Chilense I believe) elsewhere and was wondering if anyone else has seen them.

I have limited access to Facebook and just now have requested admittance to a tarantula group to hopefully get more info.

I am trying not to fuel rumors or prevent the sale of legitimate chilense, but I bought a few in April and as an already anxious type person, it has raised concerns.

I have read a few things on facebook about one specific dealer but there are certain "circumstances" regarding this situation that was dealt with by said dealer. Post some pictures of your slings and maybe we can help identify them.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
They are a bit young so was not sure if they could be identified.

Screenshot_20220802-105814_Photos.jpg

H2Aug22022.jpgH3Aug22022.jpg

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Doesn't look like H. chilensis to me. H. chilensis are a bit more "stubby" and bulky looking in the legs. The abdominal area should be showing a small red patch of hair near the carapace. Let them molt once more but I'm almost certain that's not chilensis. It looks like Homoeomma sp. but not chilensis.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the response.

I should have been more wary. And there was such a huge lag time between initial order in January and delivery in April that I bought several, thinking the odds of keeping them alive ( i thought someone said that they were difficult) and of getting a female would be higher. In all I ended up getting six. The price did come down but it was still high.

I have emailed them. So we shall see.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
So if one or more or all come back as something other than H. chilense ( previously Chilensis) what recourse do I have since I bought them in January to May with the first not arriving until April? Two arrived in May.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So if one or more or all come back as something other than H. chilense ( previously Chilensis) what recourse do I have since I bought them in January to May with the first not arriving until April? Two arrived in May.

If you purchased via paypal goods and services you only have 180 days from date of purchase to file a claim. If it's past that, I would bring the issue up with the "new" manager. This may be a reason why the old one was dismissed.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks. Not sure what you mean about old one being dismissed. I just found out about the issues a day or two ago.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks. Not sure what you mean about old one being dismissed. I just found out about the issues a day or two ago.
I suppose I'm not sure which vendor you are referring to but I have one in mind. Does it start with an "E"? Lol

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yes. Let me add some details and hopefully not confuse things.

My first order of four H. chilensis were sent to me on April 13 although they had been bought and paid for much earlier: Jan 25, Jan 26, Jan. 30, Feb. 7. These were preorders as E said they were too young to send out. Had not eaten yet. I paid for these through PayPal but using my debit card.

I bought 2 H. chilensis on May 2 and they arrived on May 11.

In recent days I found out that there had been issues with some H. chilensis and it seems it was from this vendor.

I did send an email to them today, but it sounds like they are busy. I ordered two sets of tweezers from them several weeks ago, not knowing the H. chilensis situation. They sent one set and it took one week and several emails for them to respond. They are supposed to send me a second pair.

I am not sure what recourse I have.

Last edited:

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Here are pics of the other three not included above.

Attachments

• H4Aug22022.jpg
    H4Aug22022.jpg
    837.1 KB · Views: 23
  • H5Aug22022.jpg
    H5Aug22022.jpg
    914 KB · Views: 23
  • H6Aug22022.jpg
    H6Aug22022.jpg
    830.3 KB · Views: 23

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you confirm 100% that they are not chilensis and you can't dispute through PayPal, I would definitely dispute through your bank. A lot of these slings are looking like Theraphosinae sp. Piura. I've seen a few on FB that aren't chilensis but the customers purchased them as chilensis. They end up with greenish femurs and peach/golden colored carapace.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks both. I had seen that post. I have not been able to find yhe pists on FB. I don't use it much, but I did join two tarantula groups.

I have emailed the vendor. So I will wait and see.

Last edited:

New2T’s

3 Year Member
Here is my Chilense as a sling. They are pretty stocky.

Attachments

• E54166CE-D789-401F-AA24-43C2AEEF396B.jpeg
    E54166CE-D789-401F-AA24-43C2AEEF396B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
  • C9B46A2F-7DCA-4E22-A14B-70BEDA4EDD66.jpeg
    C9B46A2F-7DCA-4E22-A14B-70BEDA4EDD66.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 39

Latest posts