• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rehousing

newtots

3 Year Member
how do you rehouse a very defensive t? Both my lp's go into threat posture as soon as I even lift the container.. I don't wanna run to rehouse them and have them escape or bite(not sure which would be worse). Also how do you rehouse ones with burrows? My b. Albopolosum has a really deep tunnel and I don't want to just dump it because it could hurt it, but it's hard to get it to come out for anything

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I usually just use a paintbrush and a catch cup (deli cup) and guide them into it. The idea is to give the spider as little room as possible. I suggest rehousing in a wide open room where there isn't much stuff for it to hide behind if it should make a run for it (although LPs aren't really considered fast). You might want to research something called the "bag method". There's lots of videos showing how to do it on YouTube.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I'm paranoid about escapes...if the enclosure is smaller then the one it is going into, I put the old enclosure inside the new enclosure, then I get the tarantula to come out with a paintbrush. I also put both enclosures inside a big rubbermaid tub in case the tarantula makes a break for it. I keep a catch cup on hand as well.

newtots

3 Year Member
As much as I hate to admit it, I'm scared... Not of the tarantulas, but of the speed and bite. The lp's I have don't like to be bothered in any way. I just put the paint brush in the container and they tried biting.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
As much as I hate to admit it, I'm scared... Not of the tarantulas, but of the speed and bite. The lp's I have don't like to be bothered in any way. I just put the paint brush in the container and they tried biting.
Really? Are you sure they don't think it's prey? Can you try the method I suggest before, putting the smaller container they are in, inside the container they are going into and then prodding them out with the paint brush? The are fairly quick at that size, I understand the fear. I hate rehousing, it causes me a lot of anxiety! Necessary evil haha.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not to sound harsh, but if an LP scares you, I'd suggest not getting into any old world species or well any fast-moving species. Perhaps it's just the fact that I've been keeping pokies, baboons, psalmos, etc. For a while now, so speed and attitude don't really intimidate me all that much. Either way, I'd stick to what you're comfortable with.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Another question, are you sure they are actually LP slings? Maybe mislabeled tarantulas? I have had two LP's...neither have ever shown aggression. They are much more likely to kick hairs.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well to be fair, ANY tarantula can be defensive, even if the species has a reputation for being docile. Personality varies by individual. My B.smithi is extremely skittish, not docile. However I have seen defensive LPs before. Not defensive to the point of like an OBT, but they would throw threat poses.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Well to be fair, ANY tarantula can be defensive, even if the species has a reputation for being docile. Personality varies by individual. My B.smithi is extremely skittish, not docile. However I have seen defensive LPs before. Not defensive to the point of like an OBT, but they would throw threat poses.

True, just struck me odd that they both of the OP's are like that. Seems odd they'd both behave with the same reaction?

I used to have two B.Smithi's, one was super docile and the other was a hair kicker extraordinaire. My GBB has become very defensive as of late. it used to just be a typical, skittish GBB. Now the thing threat poses every time you get near its enclosure. Every individual is so different! Keeps things interesting and keepers on their toes ;)

newtots

3 Year Member
The other lp's (bubbles) is defensive, will still make a threat pose but it will usually turn and run before trying to bite.... The other one (skittles) really doesn't like anyone and will try and bite when prodded

newtots

3 Year Member
I feel I need to take back my prior comment.. I have 2 lp's both came as bonus spiders from 2 different orders. They're both pretty much the same size.. One an inch and a half, the other is 2 inches. Skittles hates me with a passion and will threat pose when I even touch the container, bubbles comes closer when I touch the container, so I thought he/she was the same. Apparently I was mistaken. Rehousing skittles was a nightmare. .. I tried putting the smaller container in the bigger one and closing the lid letting it come out on its own... It ended up being the spider sitting on the lid of the big container and refusing to move, I didn't want him to fall when I unclipped the lid so it became a patients test. Long story short I finally got it to move and I took the small container out. I tried the bag method with bubbles but he was scared of the bag and wouldn't climb up it. So I tried the same as I did with skittles... It came out, but got scared and ran back in the small one... Instead of just using its size and being like skittles ready to threaten anything it ran away and literally buried itself. It truly is an example of the difference in personality in the same species. I'm just going to do the same as before and let him come out on its own because right now it's just too scared to climb out. So really I guess I misjudged bubbles because of its size and speed when it's scared.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Some people still don't care for rehousing after years in the hobby, so don't feel bad about it. I've always used the bathtub as my transfer area. While they CAN climb it, it's more difficult, and as long as you have a catch cup and stay calm, you can control any situation that arises. My second rehouse was an obt that did laps in the tub like it was a racetrack..I had to re-catch her 3 times. I was laughing for most of the transfer. While I don't relish the thought of being bitten by any spider, let alone an old world, I comfort myself with the thought that they can't do me any serious injury, just cause me some serious pain :) What I eventually figured out was this : If you stay calm, and have confidence in yourself, every transfer you do will be easy as cake, even when they pull a runner, or get stubborn and won't move when you touch them with a paintbrush. Even the psychos that go into a threat posture and then fall on their back in the same position ( which I find extremely amusing, lol ) For most people that confidence comes with experience, but I'm telling you it's all in your head, and the sooner you realize it, the better off you will be. For burrowers, the very best method is to tease them out first, using a long piece of grass, just barely tap the web mat outside their burrow, or roll the grass in your fingers to simulate trapped prey rolling around, it seems to get their attention quickly, and you can usually lead them farther away by dragging the grass on the ground, like playing with a cat. Or, you can catch them taking a walk and just block the entrance. Either way you do it, when you move the enclosure or take the top off, do it very gently and slowly, so you don't startle the spider and make it turtle up in its hole. If that happens, you won't be able to tease it out. Digging them out should be done very carefully and slowly. There's a few good videos on youtube covering both topics, you should check them out. Btw, I have an 8 1/2" female Lp that throws threat postures and will bite in a heartbeat. If I touch her with anything, she takes it from me :p Her name is Fluffy. She is the Destroyer of Worlds. So you're not alone in having an aggressive Lp. Hope this helps you, good luck!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
With all due respect, an old world bite can do a lot more than just cause serious pain. I suggest doing some research on the venom of H.maculata, S.calceatum, and Poecilotheria. These 3 are generally believed to be the most potent of all tarantulas. The venom of S.calceatum can cause heart palpitations.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
With all due respect, an old world bite can do a lot more than just cause serious pain. I suggest doing some research on the venom of H.maculata, S.calceatum, and Poecilotheria. These 3 are generally believed to be the most potent of all tarantulas. The venom of S.calceatum can cause heart palpitations.
Heart palpitations...do you have a link or source for this? Is this the soldier story that's been so misused in the hobby? Because before that one it was a guy in Africa that went into a coma, then that got thrown out by the fact that he was diseased and starving when he was bitten. I'm sorry, I'm a little skeptical...sources, sir?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Heart palpitations...do you have a link or source for this? Is this the soldier story that's been so misused in the hobby? Because before that one it was a guy in Africa that went into a coma, then that got thrown out by the fact that he was diseased and starving when he was bitten. I'm sorry, I'm a little skeptical...sources, sir?
I guess you got me. I don't have a source that is truly reliable outside of forums and blogs. Now do you have a source that can disprove this sir?