• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rehousing.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yesterday evening I rehoused 2 of my juvenile T's from Deli tubs to small enclosures. The first was Chilobrachys dyscolus blue, which is I think the most prolific webber I own. The other was my wifes Poecilotheria rufilata. Both are currently around 1.5 to 2 inches & I decided to move them before they outgrew the tubs. The pokie clearly needed more height & the Chilobrachys just needed more space.

These two rehousing jobs were ones I was not looking for & although the Chilobrachys was lively, it was not a problem & was rehoused with relative ease. Having rehoused the above 2 T's, I then checked the water in several of my other T's enclosures. The GBB was it's now usual fast & lively self & as I topped it's water up wandered out reasonably fast for a walk around the outside of it's enclosure. Then when I misted it's enclosure it took a much faster walk on first the table & then me. It normally now its at the top of it's enclosure on the webbing & in general feels much more skittish than most of my other T's. But unless I am misting it normally stays on the outside of it's enclosure & although reasonably fast, unless I am misting it is not a very fast runner normally.

So our Chilobrachys & Poecilotheria are much more chilled & thus much easier to work with than our juvie GBB. :rolleyes::T: Moving the Pokie to it's new home simply involved picking up the bark it was on & then persuading it to walk off that & onto the taller, larger bark in it's new bigger enclosure. The Chilobrachys was not happy about being moved & would have happily bitten me, but with a small paint brush & a small tub, I transferred it with ease & with no feeling I needed to be anything but cautious with my fingers.

T's are strange beings. The best novice T's, can also be most chllenging to do basic maintenance etc with. Probably because we do not need to take care with them.

My tiny P irminia is the next to rehouse. Currently it's in a tiny deli tub & I am sure under all of that webbing it's growing fast.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
After recently moving and having to rehouse what seems like 100 Ts I’ve had my previous worries about the more defensive species eradicated and after many pokies , chilobrachys , phormictopus, obts , psalmopoeus , Minax and a few fossorials that aren’t happy with being disturbed, the only threat posture I got was from an A Genic and nothing else was any bother. I guess it’s just preparation and slow movements.

Latest posts