• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rehousing Theraphosa stirmi...molt & bald spot question. help!

Valarachnid64

3 Year Member
Our T. stirmi has a pretty sweet enclosure right now, but I am concerned about a huge piece of wood that seems to be rotting and several mushrooms appear from time to time. Occasionally, tiny little forest mites appear and eat the mushrooms down to the substrate or can be seen on the wood. They never bother her but it is a bit concerning. She literally has a little biodome of her very own going on in there. Humidity level always above 80% and it actually rains on its own sometimes in there. The lid only has two small air holes otherwise is solid. I'm surprised mold has not been an issue and when you open the lid it smells fresh like the rain forest. There is a little puddle in her burrow though and I feel like its almost too humid. I want to redo it without messing it up too much because it seems to be working very well - apart from the puddling. We poured too much water in there at some point. Any suggestions? Does anyone have some good experience with Theraphosa sp?

Neohouse.jpg
Neo1.jpg

Valarachnid64

3 Year Member
Also, she has developed a bald spot and seems to have created a molting bed outside of her burrow (probably because its a puddle) So now I feel real bad :( I'm worried about this next molt. Her last one was in the burrow. Does this look like a possible molting bed to you?
Neospot.jpg
Neomoltbed.jpg

lorinmartin1

3 Year Member
I have, and own the Theraphosa sp. ---- DO NOT let any water puddle in its enviroment- get a natural sponge in there to get the excess water out- only standing water is in the water bowl- these Ts can actually rot from she standing water, I've found also to put in a real flat rock, with NO media/soil/ dirt on it. A dry-off spot so to speak. I do this with all my "wet/humid" Ts, just in case the want to dry off. Also Light helps kinda a fake day/night senerio, like in real life. My last T. blondi died of old age, so I'm pretty sure of this method. yeah, by the pics it look a little too wet, try backing off the humidity some-- that's about 150% hum... little too wet for all the time.
I hope this helps- I think once she molts this spot will go away- just make sure there are no food items in with her as she molts- you piicked one heck of a first T !!! She may even play with the sponge, that's ok-- after alll this is done put a clean "ping-pong ball" in her container!!! She'll prob play with it, one of mine was rolling one around!!! My friend once showed my one of his, on its back rolling the ball around with its legs!!! hehe don't ask me why, it just seemed to be playing! Please re-post me on how things are going.
thanx- Lorin

Valarachnid64

3 Year Member
Hey thanks for the input! I agree its too wet, that's why I would like to re-do the housing. I don't know exactly what they used when this was made up because we bought her enclosure and all, but it seems to be doing an excellent job not promoting mold or mildew. I hope to replicate that :) I think the lid is a problem because it only has two small air holes. We decided we are going to make all custom lids with plexiglass and drill holes to control humidity for each T's needs. There is already a light set up, do you think setting a full spectrum light bulb on a timer for day/night will bother her any? I don't know if she even cares about the light but some of the plants will need it. For the substrate I've compiled a bunch of eco earth, tree fern, peat moss, long fiber sphagnum and organic soil. I just used some of this for our Pink Salmon bird eater and Brazilain Whiteknee and it worked well. I am going to put some tropical plants in there too. Some people said to use pebbles at the bottom to help with drainage? But I really don't want a layer of water in there at all. I also just heard about using clay balls called hydroton? What is your tried and true system? I like the idea of a flat rock for a dry spot, and interested in the ping pong ball idea! lol The puddling was only at the bottom of her burrow, which she hasn't gone into for a couple months now. Two days ago she just made an even more intricate molting bed out on top so I think she is in pre-molt for sure. She also refused food (which never happens with her!) So all these plans are on hold until she is done molting. I'm surprised how long her pre-molt has been lasting. The others seem to go relatively quick, do these ones just take longer because of size? We aren't sure how old she is but we've had her for about 10 months. She is the largest T we've ever had and first Theraphosa sp. Thanks for your help and I will let you know how she does.