• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rehousing slings

shaun

3 Year Member
Rehoused my two babies today.
I think that I was housing them in oversized enclosures, hopefully they will be ok .

Attachments

• 20200526_152148.jpg
    20200526_152148.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 20200526_134346.jpg
    20200526_134346.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Aaawwww that little hide is so cute for your sling! What species are they? Also, what are you using for substrate?

shaun

3 Year Member
Yes, it does. I probably over sprayed in the previous enclosures, the substrate was still damp today, after about 3 weeks ( in 21degrees)

shaun

3 Year Member
Good advice. I rehoused today, trying to tweak things in the right direction.
Every day is a school day!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Err on the dry side for avics

I always keep my avics in humid environments. I have had SO many that have had molting issues when keeping them in dry environments. I try to keep my substrate damp at all times and mist once a week. Seems to be working for me. If I start to see any issues with mold I just stop misting and let it dry out a little but never completely.

shaun

3 Year Member
Seems to be quite a balancing act.
Lost an avic by changing out the mesh for a plastic top.
Bad idea, maybe not enough vent holes!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I always keep my avics in humid environments. I have had SO many that have had molting issues when keeping them in dry environments. I try to keep my substrate damp at all times and mist once a week. Seems to be working for me. If I start to see any issues with mold I just stop misting and let it dry out a little but never completely.
Good point. I should have said excess humidity is just as bad a bone dry environment; and both have been found to be detrimental to avics.

If you have an amazing cross breeze you can probably have wet substrate as the airflow will "drain off" excess humidity. If you have cross ventilation and no breeze it's as good as a static environment and too much humidity will be too much humidity, same as no cross ventilation. On the converse, too dry is too dry.
The key, and it's not that difficult, is finding the balance.

These spiders are true arboreals, meaning they never live on the ground like non-avic arboreals do. They live in tropical climates, islands in the ocean, so there is plenty of humidity, and wind/air flow.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Good point. I should have said excess humidity is just as bad a bone dry environment; and both have been found to be detrimental to avics.

If you have an amazing cross breeze you can probably have wet substrate as the airflow will "drain off" excess humidity. If you have cross ventilation and no breeze it's as good as a static environment and too much humidity will be too much humidity, same as no cross ventilation. On the converse, too dry is too dry.
The key, and it's not that difficult, is finding the balance.

These spiders are true arboreals, meaning they never live on the ground like non-avic arboreals do. They live in tropical climates, islands in the ocean, so there is plenty of humidity, and wind/air flow.

Exactly. I have had avics die on me from too much humidity. I notice a mold start to grow on them (while they are still alive, mind you) and then it covers their book lungs and entire body. If I can catch it early enough, I take a qtip soaked in rubbing alcohol and gently wipe the mold off its legs or top of its abdomen. No, I don't soak my T in rubbing alcohol or anything like that. This has proven to actually help the tarantula and rid it of the mold without causing any substantial harm to the T. Then I rehouse and change substrate, add extra ventilation, etc. I have had many success rates by doing this when pertaining to mold.

shaun

3 Year Member
So what is the magic formula ?
I keep the room at 21 degrees. The enclosures have plenty of vent holes but the room has no " air movement".
I have water dishes but still not sure how much to moisten substrate .
Advice is always welcome, I hope not to kill too many t's before I get things right.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So what is the magic formula ?
I keep the room at 21 degrees. The enclosures have plenty of vent holes but the room has no " air movement".
I have water dishes but still not sure how much to moisten substrate .
Advice is always welcome, I hope not to kill too many t's before I get things right.

Your setup looks fine -in the picture, with the way you have things set up, I would just keep your substrate damp at all times. That would provide ample humidity for your avic. I wouldn't mist in your setup.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I keep water bowls full and moisten substrate weekly, letting it dry out to the touch - not bone dry.
I also mist weekly (to put moisture on sides, plants and webbing) and drop water into webbing of my avics.
It's a trial and error thing based on your relative and ambient conditions.

Latest posts