• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rehousing nightmare

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I knew a rehouse might be needed soonish but over the last week Sable, my Phormingochilus arboricola, had trashed her tank completely. plant down and pulled forward then substrate piled on top and she was sitting huddled on top right beside the door.
ExoTerra arboreal tank washed out, wood scrubbed, plant ready, luckily I had plenty substrate ready so I got her new set up put together.
Now the next stage should have been easy, door out, catch cup in hand, a gentle nudge and she'd walk into the catch cup, transfer to new home and job done.
But Sable had other ideas, as soon as the catch cup was in place she started to back off, then came the threat pose and boy, did she look big. I got 3 threat poses and at one point she actually grabbed the catch cup and we had a tug of war with it. By this time my son decided to help by giving her a gentle nudge from behind with a soft brush but same result, Sable reared up again showing her fangs. My son decided a pair of gardening gloves may be a sensible idea so that he could get hold of the wood she was on and transfer wood and T to the new home. She didn't like that idea either and promptly struck at the glove 3 times, fortunately her fangs didn't go through the glove and he managed to get the wood into her new home with Sable still on it.
She's still sitting on the old wood but she's also clutching the new piece.
Talk about a nerve wracking afternoon. We were both shacking by the time it was over but my son was great, no fear. If she trashes her new tank she'll have to live with it.

The first of her threat poses
DSCF3437.JPG

Finally in her new home but still hanging onto her old wood.
DSCF3438.JPG

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sounds like great fun was had by all! :D at least she's finally in there safe and sound... I hope she doesn't trash it for your sake :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She's still P*ssed with me. I dropped 2 Dubai's in for her last night and got another threat from her.
This morning I find she had moved her old piece of wood a good few inches across the tank and was still sitting on it, she's now half on her wood and half on the glass so I'm guessing it's going to be a while before I get chance to remove that old wood, if ever. :)
DSCF3442.JPG

Last edited:

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Henry Ford did say something about old books & old wood becoming more precious to us as we age.