• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rehousing my biggest T

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Since Tartar is almost 5 inches, I opted to rehouse him to a bigger enclosure. I tried my best to make it presentable, please don't judge me. I am no interior decorator. :rolleyes: :oops:

The old enclosure:

The new enclosure:

To be continued... :D

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks so much guys, I think Tartar like the new dig too. He spends his first night like a rock, mostly on the spot on the last photo I posted. However, he finally crawled and stayed on top of his hide for the rest of today. Then offered him a couple of rusty reds just a few minutes ago, and I enjoyed the scuffling as Tartar chased them about. He got one in less than a minute! :D

His new spot is right about the edge...

Dinner in his new place

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So Tartar turned out to be a B.auratum? If so, you kinda lucked out in a way, as they're usually a bit more expensive than smithi.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Found him dangling one of his legs on the edge of the overhang. :) He never seemed to go down to the substrate anymore. And he flicks hair every time I open the cover so I only looked in the sides when not feeding. :rolleyes:

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So Tartar turned out to be a B.auratum? If so, you kinda lucked out in a way, as they're usually a bit more expensive than smithi.
Right here, these are almost priced the same. Sometimes the smithi is cheaper, sometimes the auratum. I also asked the seller about this T and showed him the current photo of Tartar and he find it an auratum too. He admitted that he had auratum slings also but thought that he had sold them all. So I guess it really was a mixed up. But I don't mind it at all. ;)

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I like the enclosure, looks perfect to me. It's almost as if I'd done it myself, only I'd put more rocks :) Nice ventilation! It's good to see that.
Thanks for that @MassExodus ! You made me blush. LOL o_O

I would never burn holes to a KK so I opted with this container instead because I can have lots of ventilation where I want them. I just hope that I no longer have to rehouse and he can have this as a permanent enclosure till he pass on.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for that @MassExodus

I would never burn holes to a KK so I opted with this container instead because I can have lots of ventilation where I want them.

Why not? I've drilled vent holes in all of my KK's. They're a bit more brittle and prone to cracking than an acrylic enclosure. Just need to put a wood block or something behind it to equal the pressure of the drill and then it drills fine.

Latest posts