• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rehousing and Stress

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Okay, so the three little ones I picked up the other night have horrible enclosures. The B. albo is almost completely bare with that ceramic pot that can roll back and forth and the two B. smithi are in far too high enclosures with too little substrate and great big rocks in them.
I would like to rehouse them, but I can probably put it off for a little while.
My question is...

Is it better to rehouse them immediately when they are already stressed out about moving? Or is it better to let them get a bit comfortable and then rehouse them? I just don't know which is worse - a higher dose of stress or two smaller doses.

Normally, when I have rehoused them immediately, there was no way that I could have waited because their enclosures were completely crap. However, these guys seem to have been in this enclosures for a long time (judging by the webbing and overall condition) so I don't really put this in that category of having to get them out of it asap. Except for the B. albo - I'm doing them tonight now that my new substrate is dried out enough.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If the enclosures are horrible, I would rehouse them immediately. I get Ts in the mail all of the time, and I have to rehouse them after they've been bumped and jostled around for up to 24 hours. No point in letting yours settle back down only to do it later. It could take your guys some time time to adjust to their new homes, but tarantulas are resilient; they'll settle in quickly enough and be better off in their new surroundings. :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I totally agree. Get it all over with so they can settle in nice suitable enclosures :)

Latest posts