• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Refusing food.

ALD

3 Year Member
I am going into week three (this weekend)of my GBB not taking crickets.
I put one in and she runs the other direction. At first I felt she hadn't noticed it, but now I am thinking she is ignoring it by going the other direction purpose. I will try again this weekend but she does not seem amused so far. I know she can go without food for a while so I'm not worried. All I can do is keep offering. I wonder what is up. Perhaps premolt?

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Likely. Food size can make a difference though. I have several Phlogius sp. slings around the same size, some will tackle comparably large crickets no problem , others are scared of that sized cricket but will readily take smaller ones. They do seem to be individuals in that respect.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My bet would be premolt. I've fed my gbb's large prey items and never found them to turn down a challenge like alot of my other Ts.
20180404_131110.jpg
My girl was staring at me while I was typing this...

ALD

3 Year Member
Thanks all. She has been taking down rather large crickets without hesitation until the past two weeks. I'll try again probably this weekend to offer and see what happens. Her response was so quick and without mercy before. Hahaha so its odd. That's why I'm assuming premolt.

ALD

3 Year Member
so, we are at the three week mark. I offered her a cricket. Dropped it right in front of her. They were face to face. She had a foot on it it looked like. Then let it go. So, it's confirmed. I can't say she missed it or anything. She outright was like "no thanks!!!"

Latest posts