• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Red striped pink toe :)

Moonwulf

Hey all...I was wondering I'm a new keeper and have a red stripe pink I just acquired and was wondering before I rehouse her are there any tips to help promote her webbing cause I dont want to ruin the one she has now, shes about the size of a nickel a bit bigger and just seems to be too big for the little bottle the pet store had her in:)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey all...I was wondering I'm a new keeper and have a red stripe pink I just acquired and was wondering before I rehouse her are there any tips to help promote her webbing cause I dont want to ruin the one she has now, shes about the size of a nickel a bit bigger and just seems to be too big for the little bottle the pet store had her in:)
like all Avicularia they like anchor points in the enclosure. Vertical height needed as they are an arboreal species with cork bark/fake plants for the anchor points. water dish and also make sure there is cross ventilation in any new enclosure you are considering.
Don't worry too much about destroying the web. If its needs rehousing as not enough space that is more important. They soon replace web in a matter of a couple of days anyway. :)

Moonwulf

like all Avicularia they like anchor points in the enclosure. Vertical height needed as they are an arboreal species with cork bark/fake plants for the anchor points. water dish and also make sure there is cross ventilation in any new enclosure you are considering.
Don't worry too much about destroying the web. If its needs rehousing as not enough space that is more important. They soon replace web in a matter of a couple of days anyway. :)
Thanks :) I really appreciate the reply I'll try and post a picture of her at least thats what I've been calli her lol.

Moonwulf

Thanks :) Im actually starting to see some webbing so I'm a bit more relaxed now lol but now the other issue is keeping my feeders alive any tips :)

Attachments

• IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 16

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
If your feeder of choice is crickets.They die off pretty fast (few weeks) in the large sizes.The little ones keep longer.I keep mine on bed of cheap oats (2cm deep) and feed them organic carrot every other day for them to get water from.You can freeze them if you feed tyni slings. Slings will often scavenge feed on dead pray.
Roaches live much longer than crickets I keep mine same as above but have small waterdish in too.
Mraleorms can be kept in fridge.They hibernate and last ages.

Hope that helps.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Thanks :) Im actually starting to see some webbing so I'm a bit more relaxed now lol but now the other issue is keeping my feeders alive any tips :)

Love the amount of leafy cover you've given it. The only other thing I would add (I don't keep this species yet so feel free to ignore me lol) is a vertical piece of corkbark for it to hide behind.
Gorgeous sling, really pretty one. Glad to hear its webbing away in there!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If your feeder of choice is crickets.They die off pretty fast (few weeks) in the large sizes.The little ones keep longer.I keep mine on bed of cheap oats (2cm deep) and feed them organic carrot every other day.

If feeding crickets on carrots, DO NOT use the crickets on Preying Mantis. I have read in several places that carrot fed crickets are mantid killers. I am not 100% sure of why, but I have read that it is due to the chemical make up of Carrots containing a natural pesticide. Which if true is maybe something we ought to take note of when feeding crickets used as Tarantula food.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
If feeding crickets on carrots, DO NOT use the crickets on Preying Mantis. I have read in several places that carrot fed crickets are mantid killers. I am not 100% sure of why, but I have read that it is due to the chemical make up of Carrots containing a natural pesticide. Which if true is maybe something we ought to take note of when feeding crickets used as Tarantula food.
Hi
I dont keep Manthis.Thanks for the heads up anyway.What other long lasting veg will you recommend as feeders water source gut loading.I only keep small amount of feeders and doo not really shop organic?Water gel or cristals are just a hassle too for me too.
Also @Phil and @Arachnoclown curious about your thoughts in regards feeding my feeders carrots?
Regards Konstantin

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi
I dont keep Manthis.Thanks for the heads up anyway.What other long lasting veg will you recommend as feeders water source gut loading.I only keep small amount of feeders and doo not really shop organic?Water gel or cristals are just a hassle too for me too.
Also @Phil and @Arachnoclown curious about your thoughts in regards feeding my feeders carrots?
Regards Konstantin
I often feed crickets vegetable matter (usually from salad bags) which do contain shredded carrots. I usually run them under water so there is some moisture as well but as I have so many spiders, it is verybrare that I have crickets longer than a few days anyway as they all get chomped. Never noticed any issues with spiders being fed on crickets that have eaten carrots. In fact, I recall tiny crickets turning orange, and that also happening with abdomen on some slings. Real proof of you are what you eat.

I don't have any mantis so can't comment on the effect of carrots. I dont think @Arachnoclown is the biggest fan of crickets from what I can remember but I am sure he will pick this up and let us know his thoughts as he is a good knowledgable guy :)

Moonwulf

Honestly I'm loving every bit of information I get....like this is really cool I just watched my pink toe web for 10 minutes :) so anyhoo I get the carrot thing dont really keep fresh food anyway I work a lot, right now I have Nature Zone Total Bits for my feeders which aren't pin heads but not full fledged crickets yet. But anyhoo I feed them once every other day (Red Rump, Pink toe, Red stripe) all juvies, am I feeding too often?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What other long lasting veg will you recommend as feeders water source gut loading.

I use some slices of Potatoe in my crickets, but take care as sometimes potaoes can have too much moisture in them & turn the oatmeal moist, which is something that does the crickets no good at all & also something that does not happen with carrots. I also occasionally use some apple, which is which is largely what I mainly feed my roaches on.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I dont keep crickets. If I purchase them they all die that day. They stink and they are gross.
I feed all my roaches and worms carrots along with all types of fruits and vegetables. I also give them dry cat or dog food along with that stale box of cereal that I always seam to find.
I dont give them water though...just veggies.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I dont keep crickets. If I purchase them they all die that day. They stink and they are gross.
I feed all my roaches and worms carrots along with all types of fruits and vegetables. I also give them dry cat or dog food along with that stale box of cereal that I always seam to find.
I dont give them water though...just veggies.
I did say you weren't a fan....PMSL

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nice looking sling!
I agree on cork bark or some diagonal "structure" to provide a natural hide

I keep a colony of B. lateralis "red runner" roaches, easy peasy. I buy crickets once in a while to keep things interesting.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Nice looking sling!
I agree on cork bark or some diagonal "structure" to provide a natural hide

I keep a colony of B. lateralis "red runner" roaches, easy peasy. I buy crickets once in a while to keep things interesting.
Are the B lats able to climb plastic(ex storage tub)?

Latest posts