• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Questions about dwarf tarantulas

Cor

Tarantula Club Member
I’m very interested in dwarf tarantulas but know very, very little about them. Currently, I have a few Cyriocosmus, an Avicularia minatrix, and a Kochiana brunnipes.

Now for the questions, some of them stupid:

Are there any that you would recommend that I check out? Preferably, new world, though a more sedate old world (if such a thing exists) would be possible.

Are all dwarfs skittish and flighty?

Are there any dwarf equivalents of more established tarantulas, like a dwarf Grammostola pulchra, or a dwarf Brachypelma hamorii?

Any care issues that may pop up for a dwarf tarantula?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I too am a lover of the dwarf Ts and have always found them to be just the same in their needs as their larger relatives..

Some that are worth looking at:-
Catumiri argentinense
Aphonopelma sp. montane
Plesiopelma longisternale (It took me 4 years to find 1 for sale but worth it as it's always visible.)
Plesiophrictus sp kerala
Phlogiellus

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
For some reason I was put off by dwarf tarantulas until the last year or so.

Ditto. But shipping weather is coming (eventually) and space limitations make me consider them more closely. Look at what I've been missing: Dolicothele, Neoholothele, Pseudohapalopus... Holy moley! o_O

CAcowgirl

What about H. Chilensis? Any experience with them?
Hi Dusty. You mentioned this species in response to my Chilean copper thread reply. It didn't register with me by the new classification/name. I know it as Euathlus sp. red. They are super adorable. You understand them to be difficult to breed?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Dusty. You mentioned this species in response to my Chilean copper thread reply. It didn't register with me by the new classification/name. I know it as Euathlus sp. red. They are super adorable. You understand them to be difficult to breed?
Yeah, I have heard that. I wasn't sure if others had kept them. Apparently glacial growers. I was curious about if they were difficult to care for particularly at the early stages when tarantulas are most susceptible.

They are probably at or near the top of my wish list.

Cor

Tarantula Club Member
Web results share 5-6" so I feel it's not a dwarf but it is FOXY!!! Know anyone who has slings? I saw some results on the net but none I know.
Fear Not Tarantulas has them and their currently listed on sale. I’m tempted to pick one up. They look so cool!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Fear Not Tarantulas has them and their currently listed on sale. I’m tempted to pick one up. They look so cool!
Unless I missed something, I think you may be using an older link. I checked their website, scrolling down alphabetically and searching under old and new names and nothing for H. Chilensis. The only Homoeomma I saw was this
I could be wrong wish I am.

Homoeomma peruvianun COMING SOON! SIGN UP FOR AN EMAIL ALERT​

• Homoeomma peruvianun COMING SOON! SIGN UP FOR AN EMAIL ALERT

Cor

Tarantula Club Member
Unless I missed something, I think you may be using an older link. I checked their website, scrolling down alphabetically and searching under old and new names and nothing for H. Chilensis. The only Homoeomma I saw was this
I could be wrong wish I am.

Homoeomma peruvianun COMING SOON! SIGN UP FOR AN EMAIL ALERT​

• Homoeomma peruvianun COMING SOON! SIGN UP FOR AN EMAIL ALERT
Sorry, thought it was for D. diamentanesis

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Web results share 5-6" so I feel it's not a dwarf but it is FOXY!!! Know anyone who has slings? I saw some results on the net but none I know.
Not accurate, that would be a giant D diamantinensis. Think of them as a 2/3 scale GBB, 4" max