• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question Regarding Enclosure Size for Hissing Roaches

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How many do you want to keep? As my daughter had 6 in a large sandwich tub. They do not move far & like to congregate together, so all you need is a few layers of cardboard for them to burrow around in, & some space for some food & water crystals. And some people don't bother with the water crystals. I never use to. But now mine get both fresh fruit, from which they get moisture & a small cap of water crystals.

What you need more than anything is a good mesh lid. As hissers seem to escape from anything without a good lid. I use bins with clip on lids, plus some cheap material over the top, which I change every so often, as they chew holes into it.

Are you wanting these roaches to breed? if so you will need extra warmth. But if you just want to keep a few big roaches, then keep them at normal room temperature, as like that they tend not to breed. Mine LOVE cheap flaked fish food & apples. I also give them cheap porridge for some bulk too.

Latest posts