• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question on Releasing Tarantula into the Wild

Bailey

To tarantula forum

Hello. I'm a new forum member and need some advice.

In March of last year, I rescued a young lifeless tarantula that had been stung by a tarantula hawk. The tarantula hawk ran toward me and reflexively I swatted it. It flew off and I noticed the hawk had dropped a tarantula. I decided to try to rehabilitate the tarantula and after months he/she ("Bailey" to us) appears to have completely recovered and has molted twice. We now know Bailey is a female and a typical Tucson, AZ tarantula.

Although tarantulas are fascinating creatures, I don't have enough room to provide a reasonably sized habitat for Bailey or the time to properly care for Bailey and her habitat. Considering those things, I have decided to return her to an area around my house. I'm thinking I might release her under a Mesquite tree among the Aloe Vera plants or under some desert brush.

Long story but my question is – to give her the best chance of survival should I'll make a tunnel to release her at and I'd like to know what diameter and depth should the hole be considering her size? Please see attached photo.

I look forward to receiving some knowledgeable advice as soon as possible.

Suzanne

thumbnail_IMG_1964.jpg

Latest posts