• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question on meal worm growth

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think this is in the wrong section, but anyway....
Mealworms couldn't be easier to grow and breed, put a couple of inches of rolled oats in a kritter keeper, add egg cartons and cardboard, you can layer them, leave a gap at one end so that you can drop food straight onto the oats. Add a tub of mealworms. Feed carrot for moisture, but add a variety of vegetables to make your mealworms more nutritious. A few hours before I use them I like to feed some leafy greens and fresh carrot to gutload them somewhat although if you're feeding them regularly it wont matter too much. One thing I found out by accident is that if you add crumpled brown paper bags to the top of tank there will usually be quite a few worms in them and you don't need to search through the oats to get a feed for your pets. I keep 3 of these in different places in the house so they are not all at the same stage at one time. I buy crickets, but I haven't bought mealworms in a decade or so.