• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

question concerning feeding

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I know that the slings might not be eating for a couple reasons.. one they might be near a molt or two they still haven't settled in enough to be ready for food.. but I put a small dubia roach in with each sling and neither has shown interest and as I feared the dubias burrowed under the substrate which is about an inch deep so now I have to remove the slings and dig out the dubia in each container and start over :/ but I remember reading on here that slings will eat pre killed prey so if I smash the roach head is it likely that a 1 to 1 ½ inch p regalis and p fasciata which is the same size will still eat it?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
some don't like Dubia roaches at all. i have a few that wouldn't eat them, and it took a lot of coaxing to get them to finally eat. Problem with Dubia are they burrow away, or play dead, and don't trigger that feeding response like a cricket or lateralis roach. Good thing about dubia is if they burrow they can be found the T can eat them later. they won't harm the T if they're left in the enclosure like a superworm/mealworm can.

What i did to get my timid ones to finally eat the dubia was put it in the enclosure on it's back. the flailing legs while it tries to right itself should draw the T to it, if it plays dead then a gentle nudge with something small and thin, so as not to draw thee attention of the T away, works to get it to move again. I use a strand from a broom for this. it blends with the substrate pretty well, and is thin enough it doesn't draw the attention away from the roach like a brush or tongs do.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
some don't like Dubia roaches at all. i have a few that wouldn't eat them, and it took a lot of coaxing to get them to finally eat. Problem with Dubia are they burrow away, or play dead, and don't trigger that feeding response like a cricket or lateralis roach. Good thing about dubia is if they burrow they can be found the T can eat them later. they won't harm the T if they're left in the enclosure like a superworm/mealworm can.

What i did to get my timid ones to finally eat the dubia was put it in the enclosure on it's back. the flailing legs while it tries to right itself should draw the T to it, if it plays dead then a gentle nudge with something small and thin, so as not to draw thee attention of the T away, works to get it to move again. I use a strand from a broom for this. it blends with the substrate pretty well, and is thin enough it doesn't draw the attention away from the roach like a brush or tongs do.
lol I tried that with the fasciata (I prefer working with it seeing how it's fairly calm) and the dubia was on it's back so I scooted it upto the fasciata and after a few seconds one of the legs touched it's pedipalps and the fasciata ran all over the tub where I was experimenting lol

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
hm.. I don't think I have any local stores that sell anything other then crickets or nightcrawlers and geez I don't wanna deal with crickets again if I can avoid them and a nightcrawler is easily 20 times larger lol :/ I might stick with the dubias for a few days and if I have no luck I'll unfortunately buy some crickets cuz this area has such a limited selection :(

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Once they feed on one, they'll eat them all the time. Dubias and lats are all i bother with now, and occasionally superworms. I still keep my hisser communal though, as pets. After a recent influx of slings and scorplings, my lats were decimated, so i bought a few hundred to start another colony. All the scorplings are sold, and the slings are big enough for dubia now, so I'm going to see how fast I can turn a few hundred lats into thousands. My guess is very quickly :)

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
Once they feed on one, they'll eat them all the time. Dubias and lats are all i bother with now, and occasionally superworms. I still keep my hisser communal though, as pets. After a recent influx of slings and scorplings, my lats were decimated, so i bought a few hundred to start another colony. All the scorplings are sold, and the slings are big enough for dubia now, so I'm going to see how fast I can turn a few hundred lats into thousands. My guess is very quickly :)

I tried lats many many years ago and never got any nymphs from them. How do you set them up?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I tried lats many many years ago and never got any nymphs from them. How do you set them up?
The same exact way as dubia. Inch of sub, egg cartons, food dish on one side and an end tbat I moisten very occasionally. My roaches get most moisture from baby carrots. They also get dog food and fish flakes. My lats were producing babies very well, but i started my colony too small, and at the time i had a whole lot of baby scorps and slings. I had five adults and a few nymphs left when i reordered(baby scorps are voracious eaters), my small colony lasted longer than I thought it would. I think I started with 300 mixed, around a year and a half ago.

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
The same exact way as dubia. Inch of sub, egg cartons, food dish on one side and an end tbat I moisten very occasionally. My roaches get most moisture from baby carrots. They also get dog food and fish flakes. My lats were producing babies very well, but i started my colony too small, and at the time i had a whole lot of baby scorps and slings. I had five adults and a few nymphs left when i reordered(baby scorps are voracious eaters), my small colony lasted longer than I thought it would. I think I started with 300 mixed, around a year and a half ago.

I'll have to try them with sub (eco earth), no additional heat? Maybe I'll order a handful and see what I can do.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When I tried lats back in like 2008 or 2009 I remember getting ooths but they never hatched out.
I think it has to do with moisture. Almost every day in south texas, there is fog in the am. Even if there isnt, the humidity is 100% or close to it. They say lats have spread from California to texas, but i think they've covered the south to Florida. I think Florida is too moist, too frequently, for them to thrive. I think Texas is about perfect for them..we do have dry spells, but that morning dew is almost ever present. Ive found lats on the walls at the hospital. My suggestion is check the Allpet roach forum, theres some very smart fellows there, a dual member here named Hisserdude also is very knowledgeable.

Latest posts