• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question About Starting

TokeHound

Hello, I have Arachnophobia really bad and I started watching a specific YouTube channel of a gentleman who cares for many tarantulas. I was hoping I could help my Arachnophobia by getting a tarantula, but I don't know which kind to get. I was hoping for a new world tarantula that won't dart or scare the **** out of me, and from what I learned, it seems females live a significantly longer life than males, so I was hoping to get a female. The gentleman I watch on YouTube actually does not have any Mexican Red Knee Tarantulas, and I thought those were the most docile, but he actually seems to think that Arizona Blondes are a good, docile tarantula to go with. I wouldn't mind an AZ Blonde but I just think Mexican Red Knees are a prettier tarantula compared to the AZ Blonde. I was also curious about jumping spiders, but I wasn't sure if that would be a good starter because of my Arachnophobia. Are Jumping Spiders even a type of tarantula? And as of right now, I don't plan on trying to handle any tarantula, I just would like to care for one and warm up to the idea. Any suggestions would be great, thank you

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to this great forum. You did some good research already. There are many great species to start with. :) You are right with B. hamorii, they are pretty. I would not recommend jumping spiders. They are not easy to care for when you start. If you end up with a tarantula, I am pretty sure you will lose you fear over time.

Tarantulafeets

Welcome to the forum!
As a starter tarantula, I would recommend most Aphonopelma, Tliltocatl, Brachypelma, or Grammostola species, as they tend to be more "docile" than others, although their temperament depends on each individual tarantula. I would also start getting used to latin names, as common names can be very confusing, as almost every tarantula in Brachypelma can be considered a "red knee" ;)

I have an Aphonopelma chalcodes (AZ blonde) and Tliltocatl albopilosus, (curly hair) and they are both great and very food driven. I don't have any Brachyprlma yet, but I heard that they are great, hoping to get some in the future.

A chalcodes
P1040090-01-01.jpeg

T albopilosus
P1040407-01.jpeg

Jumping spiders are great as well, the two that I have are adorable, and easy to care for. They are also very ferocious when it comes to food

P1050680-01-01.jpeg

I think that it is great that you are trying to get over your arachnophobia, as these creatures truly are wonderful :)

Mygalomorphic

Welcome to the hobby! You are doing the very best thing you can too make sure you get started on the right foot- research before you get a tarantula.

I (and many other keepers) had arachnophobia before getting into the hobby. One thing that really helped me was learning as much as I could about tarantulas and spiders in general. Not just their husbandry but also their anatomy and behaviors. The more you learn and understand the less frightening they will seem.

You'll find as many different opinions on good beginner species as there are species but most people will recommend terrestrial New World tarantulas. Aphonopelma, Brachypelma, Tliltocatl are all good ones. I'd recommend getting an older animal and not starting off with a tiny sling if you can help it. You'll hear that arboreal tarantulas and many Old World species are fast and they absolutely are, but don't make the mistake in thinking New Worlds are slow, they are just "slower". A big, beefy Brachypelma can plod along but they are capable of explosive speed and I personally was not prepared for that when I first started keeping. Nothing to afraid of just be prepared.

Keep asking questions and learn as much as you can and you'll be fine.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Just a few thoughts.

Size of the tarantula is a factor to consider.

Spiderlings, or slings, even of the species considered docile, can be skittish and may want to hide for long periods. It's baked right in them. Survival.

On the other hand, slings can have that "cute" factor when you see them. They may be less imposing and cost less. And you will be caring for a young one.

Tarantula juveniles may be a good size. More resilient than baby spiders. They still can be skittish but maybe a bit more visible.

AdamG

Arizona Blondes are so pretty in person but you could consider me biased.

Mine is an absolute sweetheart, very predictable in her movements and behaviours and I always recommend them to beginners or people with more natural trepidation around spiders.

Husbandry is also very simple which I think is super important when you're starting out.

template_1.png

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
First off, welcome to the forum.

As a former arachnophobe myself I know exactly what you are going through. In my case I wanted to start with a sling because I didn’t want to start with a big and hairy tarantula which I was not mentally prepared for yet. I started the same way as you watching YouTube videos, which led to me deciding on a T. albopilosus sling. Once it came the fear went away for the most part. The first couple of weeks are the most nerve racking.

B . hamorii are excellent options for first tarantulas. I have a stunning female of that species. They are very easy to raise. As far as Brachys are concerned the hamorii is probably the best especially when price is factored in. I have experience with the B. emilia as well and while individuals do vary, both of my B. emilia are very skittish compared to my hamorii.

Other species I’d recommend are the T. albopilosus (Honduran), Aphonopelma hentzi (they look better than A. chalcodes), and G. pulchripes ( which is quickly becoming the number one species I’d recommend to a new keeper especially if they want to start with a sling).

TokeHound

Thank you all so much for the wonderful advice. I am most definitely going to have to work on learning the Latin names!! Is it better to get a store-bought T or should I look for a breeder?

AdamG

Thank you all so much for the wonderful advice. I am most definitely going to have to work on learning the Latin names!! Is it better to get a store-bought T or should I look for a breeder?
Personally, I would look for a breeder. A lot of pet shops stock wild caught specimens and aside from ethics, they're often likely to sell you a mature male.

Latest posts