• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

question about a pokie enclosure

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Ok I was checking out my p regalis and p fasciata and currently my fasciata appears to have a 2 ½ to 3 inch leg span (visual estimation) and regalis appears around 2 to 2 ½ inch leg span.. I have two tanks I want to put them in that is 20x18 complete with bark backgrounds and hides etc.. but at those sizes do you think I could safely let them use their cages? I'm worried about them finding their food in there.. maybe I'm just over protective? lol

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 35
  • fasciata.jpg
    fasciata.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Tricocyst,

The cage looks like an Eco Terra. Excellent enclosures for Asian arboreals. It may be too big for them at first, but I respect their speed and venom so much that the less numbers of times I have to re-house them, the better. So, even though the enclosure is probably a bit big for them, I'm a woosy boy, and would transfer them to an adult enclosure once they have outgrown their deli dish. Good luck! They sure are beautiful.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Hi Tricocyst,

The cage looks like an Eco Terra. Excellent enclosures for Asian arboreals. It may be too big for them at first, but I respect their speed and venom so much that the less numbers of times I have to re-house them, the better. So, even though the enclosure is probably a bit big for them, I'm a woosy boy, and would transfer them to an adult enclosure once they have outgrown their deli dish. Good luck! They sure are beautiful.
thank you for the reply! I almost bought the eco terra but I went with the zoo med brand on a personal preference but I went ahead and put them in their cages and going to wait a couple days to let them settle in then add a cricket and see if they are successful.. so it's a waiting game from here. By the way even though I have already did it I'd still like to hear everyones opinion

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
thank you for the reply! I almost bought the eco terra but I went with the zoo med brand on a personal preference but I went ahead and put them in their cages and going to wait a couple days to let them settle in then add a cricket and see if they are successful.. so it's a waiting game from here. By the way even though I have already did it I'd still like to hear everyones opinion
agree with @WolfSpider the less rehousing the better, Just keep an eye on them at first and make sure they're finding their prey until they grow into the enclosure more.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I forgot to update lol.. both pokies have ate twice.. I'm shocked that even in that space they have no issue eating.. I mean like @WolfSpider said their speed and venom potency is high.. but I was afraid they wouldn't notice the crickets.. boy was I wrong.. they are way more alert then we think they are and thanks for the reply @kormath I also agree with you two.. the less I put both the spiders and myself at risk the better

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As long as you're not putting a sling in a massive enclosure, they'll find their food. They may make a corner retreat and never show themselves, but even the shy ones live a secret life at night. They'll have trip lines everywhere in short order, and will know everything that goes on in their enclosure. Personally I like the interaction of rehousing them. Especially the feisty ones. They can be very amusing :)

Latest posts