• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Q. Damp Enclosures

Fangtastic

Hi.
If an enclosure is quite damp all over and smelling fusty with moss growing and plants etc is it likely to get bugs and the like making a home there and causing any ill effects for a T?

Thanks

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There is always the possibility, but you can always get some springtails which will flourish in that type of environment.

Consider what species you want to put in the enclosure as well.

Fangtastic

Its because I know someone who keeps all there Ts in this state no matter what and they have some for sale so I think I will stay clear.
Thanks

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
To me, damp, plants and moss is fine but that fusty/musty smell you describe translates to mould, which flourishes in the presence of moisture and inadequate ventilation. A lot of keepers say mould is harmless and in the main it is, you can just scoop it out, and get cleaner insects like Panzo says to keep it in check. However, some moulds are bad for tarantulas and in the presence of a severe prolonged mould outbreak tarantulas can absolutely get book lung infections.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be too concerned about the tarantula harbouring nasties if you do get it. You can quarantine it for the first couple of weeks by keeping it in a separate room to the rest of your collection, and cleaning thoroughly any shared tongs or tools used in very hot water. It's good practice to do that anyway.