• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pseudoclamoris gigas sling

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I was contemplating an OW but opted for another arboreal and ordered a 3/4" T. gigas, orange tree spider from Jamie's Tarantulas and expect to receive it by the weekend.

I have several enclosure options ready and am looking forward to this species.

Appreciate any insight or experience anyone wants to share!
bigstock-tarantula-Tapinauchenius-gigas-90466193-1.jpg

Stock pic from the interwebs

Arrival and unboxing/rehoming info here here

Last edited:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It is now pseudoclamoris gigas and from what I've heard they are the fastest tarantula in general, that includes OWs. I don't know how true it is, just what I came across.

I've read the same, but I'm not put off by the prospect of a lightning fast orange blur. Less chance of aggressive behavior in general is appreciated, but each individual is potentially unique in temperament.
Our GBB was pretty skittish as a young juvie so I've learned to move slowly in front of it. Hopefully that translates well for keeping P. gigas.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
image.jpg

I've heard they're the fastest but tbh the 2 we have are fairly chill and would bolt around the enclosure rather than dart out. It's less lightning fast and more teleporting thou tbh ;). The one in the pic is around 3" dls and in a 32oz deli with a piece of cork and some fake leaves. It's done some webbing but not a massive amount. I like raised waterdishes in arboreal enclosures but that's personal preference. Other than that care is quite simple. We just keep dish full and a light mist once a week when feeding.

I'd honestly recommend H Pulchripes over a P Gigas but I'm aware that in America they are significantly more expensive than over here.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Okay... I'll bite. Why would you make that recommendation?

FWIW, H. pulchripes is about 2-3x more expensive than P. gigas

IMO the H pulchripes is better looking. In terms of keeping or temperament I wouldn’t say ones worse than the other. Lil pulchripes is more inclined to give a lil threat posture than bolt

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
IMO the H pulchripes is better looking. In terms of keeping or temperament I wouldn’t say ones worse than the other. Lil pulchripes is more inclined to give a lil threat posture than bolt

I definitely like the look of H. pulchripes, and I already ordered P. gigas, I will probably own both at some point in the future. Just not yet
Thanks for your input!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Received the sling today. Yay!

Unboxing and rehoming from shipping vial to arboreal sling enclosure was actually easy
  • I put the prepped enclosure and the vial in a big bucket. lid off
  • Pulled the damp paper towel with the sling out of the vial
  • The sling bolted inside the bottom of the bucket and i put the lid of the enclosure over it
  • The sling climbed up the side of the lid
  • I lifted the lid with the sling inside it and placed it gently on the enclosure
DONE

Here are a few pics
IMG_20200319_164330.jpg
IMG_20200319_164450.jpg

Substrate is a mix of coco fiber coir and organic peat (not fake peat)
Bottom 3/8" is wettish
Rest is damp

There's a bunch of sphagnum moss on one side and a cork bark chunk glued to the side with silk leaf and angled stick with a starter burrow under the cork bark

The enclosure is in my micro climate with my other slings, ambient temp in there is between 74-80° F

I'll let it chillax for a few days and then try to feed it a pinhead B. lat

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've read the same, but I'm not put off by the prospect of a lightning fast orange blur. Less chance of aggressive behavior in general is appreciated, but each individual is potentially unique in temperament.
Our GBB was pretty skittish as a young juvie so I've learned to move slowly in front of it. Hopefully that translates well for keeping P. gigas.
The gigas will make the Gbb look like a pet rock...night and day. ;)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Swapped P. gigas enclosures today, used the same method I did for rehousing, with the sling in the lid of the enclosure I just moved the lid with the spider in it to the other enclosure.

New enclosure has a Cholla wood "hollow
stump" with a few plastic leaves attached embedded in the substrate with a bunch of sphagnum moss.in it to hold moisture.

The bottom 1/4 of substrate is very damp with the top 3/4 a somewhat damp mix of Coco fiber and peat moss.

I packed some sphagnum moss between the stump and side of the enclosure for good measure. I left the new housing in the micro climate for a few days to get up to ambient temp before swapping the T over.

Here are a few pics of the enclosure before moving the T, one just after the move and just now with the sling exploring the base of the "stump"
IMG_20200321_093104.jpg
IMG_20200321_093433.jpg
IMG_20200321_162526.jpg
IMG_20200321_170404.jpg
IMG_20200321_170358.jpg

Best look I've gotten since receiving the sling.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fed the gigas tonight a 3mm B. lat nymph.

I unintentionally stunned/injured the nymph grabbing it with tweezers so it took a few mins for it to start roaming around the enclosure. Once it got close to the "stump" the sling grabbed the roach through one of the openings of the chola wood stump. It was impressive.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fed P. gigas again tonight, same size roach nymph

The roach climbed up the side of the stump and began grooming itself
Took some time for the sling to orient itself inside the stump to best snag the roach but it didn't take long

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fed Gillian the gigas again, this time a slightly larger B. lat nymph.

The sling came completely out of it's stump hide to hunt the roach until the roach hid under some moss.

media-1585539947714-Mar_28_2020_7_05_PM.jpg
media-1585539945065-Mar_28_2020_7_05_PM.jpg

The sling went back into the stump and the roach came out of the moss and climbed up the side of the stump. The sling ambushed the roach not from the inside, but can rushing out and up the stump from the outside and grabbed the roach and took it down inside the stump. It was awesome.

Here's a video
Google album link