• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Psalmopoeus cambridgei project

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I picked up 6 Psalmopeus cambridgei sub-adults back in June/July 2021.

2 were suspected female, 1 was freshly molted molt-sexed male and the other 3 were unsexed. They were all around 4" in were living in 32oz deli cups when I got them. The male was considerably smaller than the others and not quite well. He had a weird spot on his abdomen and passed after a few weeks having eaten at first but then declining to ultimately his demise.

They eventually all molted; 3 we're female and 2 ultimate males. I rehoused them all into gallon jugs, the largest female into an exo terra nano tall. She's Female A.
PXL_20210501_025528094.MP.jpg

It's a bioactive enclosure with live moss, springtails, isopods and leaf litter. Sorry about the glare.

She made a shallow dirt curtain hide in the base of the 3/4 round cork bark but she is out on the regular, at least every evening/overnight. She eventually retreats when daylight or I appear.

Here she is outside her cork bark before being paired. Lovely orange flashing on her tarsus and pedipalps.
PXL_20210427_031455195.MP.jpg
PXL_20210427_031410609.MP.jpg

She's skittish, slightly defensive and an aggressive hunter; I would often not be able to discern her from the cork bark in passing.

I successively paired all 3 females with both males in late August 2021. The boys survived all pairings and I still have them and they look great. Here's one of them on the left next to Female B. I will attempt to re-pair them all soon.
PXL_20220106_051356504.MP.jpg

If you haven't guessed, I got very creative with names, Females A, B and C and Males A and B.
(I hate those little post-it note strips, they keep dropping off)

Well, the two smaller females molted in late October 2021, but not Female A. One day I noticed her burrowing inside her shallow dirt curtain hide, going quite deep. In a few days' time she'd excavated what turned out to be an egg chamber in the base of the cork bark 3/4 round.

PXL_20220104_032311670.jpg

In early December she stopped hunting and I found dead crickets in her enclosure, water dish, etc; deceased, not killed and not eaten. I suspected she, too, had molted out in private, or was possibly sitting on a sac.

I teased her hide with some water after New Year's and got a reaction from within - time to investigate.

I coaxed her out on January 5, 2022 with a long zip tie and she charged hard, attacking the zip tie with more ferocity than usual. I kept her entertained with a second zip tie and investigated in the chamber with a long, Harry Potter wand my daughter gave up one - an egg sac

PXL_20220105_030009800.MP.jpg

Here's the open egg chamber, opened up.

PXL_20220105_025945415~2.jpg

I fed her the next afternoon, 4 large crickets. She pounced on them. I also noticed she was repairing her egg chamber - this was interesting...

PXL_20220105_044633191.MP.jpg

You can see 3 of her legs working from the inside to re-fortify the exterior wall of the chamber.

The sac is in the incubator now. I suspect she was sitting on it for about 20-21 days, maybe longer.
PXL_20220106_053836127.MP.jpg

I will turn the sac a few times a day, just like mom does, and in about a week I'll open it to check progress.

Fingers crossed!

Latest posts