• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Psalmopoeous irminia Re-house

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I've only had this species for a few months, but I'm proud of what I've learned here on the forum and been able to put into practice in that time. I got this one as a tiny little sling from @Casey K. and I started it out in a vial she sent me. I moved it to a 2x2" AMAC box within a couple of weeks, so I could see it better. It has molted several times and it was due for a larger enclosure. Tonight I made up this 4x4x7" AMAC:
IMG_6813.JPG

The substrate in the little enclosures gets too wet. Every time I top off the water dish, it soaks the substrate. The bigger enclosures seem to dry out better and not stay so damp.

The transfer went smoothly. When I first started prodding him/her to move, everything was nice and slow and calm. It was just slowly walking into the new enclosure. What I learned when this one was a baby and I was initially unpacking it is that they like to go UP, into the trees vs. down to the ground when they get spooked. Knowing this, I had the new enclosure over the old one as I moved the spider, and sure enough, true to their reputation, the damn thing bolted at teleportation speed. It bolted right up and into the top of its new enclosure, and then I simply put the top on its base. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

IMG_6812.JPG

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Lol thats a nice setup! I need you to make me a few for my Psalmopeus langenbucheri and victorri, lol.

Latest posts