• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pros and cons of a larger enclosure

Mr. P

3 Year Member
I posted in another thread that a neighbor gave me a 3" B. Smithi as they were closing the doors on a family owned pet store. They also gave me the enclosure it was kept in which measures 18x12x12 which I think is kinda large for the T's size but I understand a pet store showcases its pets for the customers.
What are the advantages or disadvantages of a larger enclosure?

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
The only disadvantage would be a potential fall risk if it climbs the walls. To mitigate this just add extra substrate to fill the enclosure to within about 6” from the top.

Other thing would be that it could be hard for it to find its’ prey, but if you drop crickets close to it it’ll find them just fine.

Mr. P

3 Year Member
Thanks for the input, I did fill it halfway with substrate to about six inches just for that reason.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can put a bottle cap close to wherever the tarantula likes to hang out. Add a small amount of cricket chow to the cap. This will prove fatally tempting!! It'll also keep it gut loaded.

Mr. P

3 Year Member
I have a seperate cricket keeper that I keep crickets in and they don't last but three seconds when I drop them in with the T. :)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I believe large enclosures are only good for breeding (gives the male more room to work his magic), for example my female is in a sterilite shoebox that is a bit on the large side for such a small species. My H. Dictator is in a large kritter keeper (room for the male to work and the female to burrow, though the female is getting a taller enclosure for when and if she gives me a sac or two).

The only other possible benefit to larger enclosures is if you have a communal that is a decent size. Other than what i mentioned, larger enclosures are pointless for the most part. My views could be due to my collection approaching 30 and i am trying to save space for more additions.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The larger enclosures can cut down the number of rehousing events that you need. The fact that you can just set it up without constantly having to change stuff is great for peace of mind.

As long as the tarantula can be directed to food and water, it's all good.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If height is a concern and the substrate level can't be raised for whatever reason, lining around the edges with moss can also probably mitigate the harm from a fall.

Latest posts