• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Progress with my T

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
15CE0072-3F13-48E9-9A62-23F5C9E4ABBA.jpeg
15CE0072-3F13-48E9-9A62-23F5C9E4ABBA.jpeg
833C3975-AD67-4104-AA84-DAD21E3FDCEA.jpeg
38AF5D8E-D519-460C-BA21-9377350BD4FC.jpeg
My GBB arrived on Tuesday morning and the first couple days it was very sluggish barely moving at all. It even looked stressed the way the T had positioned its legs. The sling did molt during transit so it was understandable why it looked so stressed. But yesterday and mainly last night I’m pleased to say I think the sling is definitely feeling more comfortable and getting used to it’s new enclosure.

Attachments

• 0E7CC77F-1332-4614-B992-27220BA8C937.jpeg
    0E7CC77F-1332-4614-B992-27220BA8C937.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's great news, now you can sit back and enjoy it until the urge to buy more hits you :)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Give it a few more days before feeding, it sounds like your sling is starting to get acclimated to its enclosure.

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
Yeah I offered the sling food today and it was not interested. Probably try again on Monday or Tuesday.

And yes I think the LP looks like an awesome choice to add. And the many of the arboreal species are fascinating me. Especially the Poecilotheria species.

Nunua

3 Year Member
Lovely to know that your sling is getting adapted into its new enclosure :) It looks great!

I got my first T, Acanthoscurria geniculata female in February and pretty soon after that my collection started to grow, and now I have 12 of them. Need to stop for a while now because of the space limit in this small apartment, haha!

For the pokies (Poecilotheria), I know that some people recommend the ladder system to get introduced to fast species and old world tarantulas. Basically that just means that you'll start with faster and/or more bolty new world species etc. but then again, if you feel ready to have a certain species just go for it. The most common example is our @Enn49 whose first T was (accidentally, if my brain is not failing me #Edit: My brain totally failed me, haha!) an OBT.
I have two pokie slings (P. vittata and P. tigrinawesseli) and P. vittata actually escaped on the very day it arrived - It bolted from the travelling vial to my hand, took a sprint down to my lap, thigh, knee, thigh, side, back and ended up sitting on the chair
0bf29df8b6.png

To be honest, that's what I would have done as a spider as well - It must be a bit of a shock when you've been sitting in a small vial over a week and then someone takes the lid off and gently taps your hind leg with a covered wire, haha! It's good to know that Ts usually take only short sprints before stopping, and the slower you move the calmer they (usually) are. Though, this incident taught me the amazing speed of pokies.

Anyway, I learned my lesson and now everything is going well. I respect their speed and potent venom and have found the best way to work my individuals what comes to rehousing them. Of course I have to keep learning as the attitude may change to the more defensive direction when they get bigger, but that's one of the best parts of the hobby - To see how they grow in physical and behavioural matter.

TL;DR - If you end up having a pokie, always be prepared but not scared :D Things start to get wrong when people get lazy and careless with the precautions and pretty much assume that nothing can go wrong.

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, both my son and I began at the top of that "ladder" as @Nunua says but not accidentally. My son got a P.vittata first and then I bought my OBT through choice as I just loved that bright orange.

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
Lovely to know that your sling is getting adapted into its new enclosure :) It looks great!

I got my first T, Acanthoscurria geniculata female in February and pretty soon after that my collection started to grow, and now I have 12 of them. Need to stop for a while now because of the space limit in this small apartment, haha!

For the pokies (Poecilotheria), I know that some people recommend the ladder system to get introduced to fast species and old world tarantulas. Basically that just means that you'll start with faster and/or more bolty new world species etc. but then again, if you feel ready to have a certain species just go for it. The most common example is our @Enn49 whose first T was (accidentally, if my brain is not failing me #Edit: My brain totally failed me, haha!) an OBT.
I have two pokie slings (P. vittata and P. tigrinawesseli) and P. vittata actually escaped on the very day it arrived - It bolted from the travelling vial to my hand, took a sprint down to my lap, thigh, knee, thigh, side, back and ended up sitting on the chair
0bf29df8b6.png

To be honest, that's what I would have done as a spider as well - It must be a bit of a shock when you've been sitting in a small vial over a week and then someone takes the lid off and gently taps your hind leg with a covered wire, haha! It's good to know that Ts usually take only short sprints before stopping, and the slower you move the calmer they (usually) are. Though, this incident taught me the amazing speed of pokies.

Anyway, I learned my lesson and now everything is going well. I respect their speed and potent venom and have found the best way to work my individuals what comes to rehousing them. Of course I have to keep learning as the attitude may change to the more defensive direction when they get bigger, but that's one of the best parts of the hobby - To see how they grow in physical and behavioural matter.

TL;DR - If you end up having a pokie, always be prepared but not scared :D Things start to get wrong when people get lazy and careless with the precautions and pretty much assume that nothing can go wrong.
I have made room for more Tarantulas in a spare bedroom we have in our house. My wife said I could get as many as I wanted if I just cleaned the room out better as it used to be used for all our storage/junk lol!

I would really like at least three Ts though. My idea was a big webbing T, a Terrestrial giant, and an Arboreal of some sort. I already have the big Webber in my GBB and it has already been doing quite a bit if webbing. I enjoy walking into the room and checking on the progress of the webbing the sling is creating.

I do hear the GBB is kinda considered semi arboreal and it makes sense because my sling doesn’t want to get off of her half log instead of getting in it. It is about 50 percent of the time on the side of the enclosure. But yeah I still need to do a lot of research on the Poecilitheria species but they look so amazing!

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
I offered the sling again on Monday and it didn’t hesitate to take a larger size roach than when fed it on Sunday. I was gonna give it until Thursday or Friday before I offer again.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I offered the sling again on Monday and it didn’t hesitate to take a larger size roach than when fed it on Sunday. I was gonna give it until Thursday or Friday before I offer again.
1-2 times a week is best for small slings, the more you feed a tarantula within a week, they will tend to fast longer.

Latest posts