• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Probably a obvious question with a more obvious answer but centipede intelligence..

Lemon

So I was searching around another forum and found someone claiming that centipedes are in contrast to tarantulas, able to be trained to tolerate handling? I'm sure this may be false but if true I thought it'd be fascinating!

MBullock

3 Year Member
It's true. They have good memory and smell, they remember you. Ive seen videos of huge subspinipes being calm and very tolerant of handling- pede intelligence is way higher than any spider, it reminds me more of crustacean intelligence. Thats not to say they wont bite though- if you have sugar on your hands you will be gnawed on and they will pinch with their forcipules to grab you and it WILL hurt.

Lemon

It's true. They have good memory and smell, they remember you. Ive seen videos of huge subspinipes being calm and very tolerant of handling- pede intelligence is way higher than any spider, it reminds me more of crustacean intelligence. Thats not to say they wont bite though- if you have sugar on your hands you will be gnawed on and they will pinch with their forcipules to grab you and it WILL hurt.
You're saying they have a sweet tooth? XD

MBullock

3 Year Member
That's pretty cool! Is fruit actually a beneficial part of their diet? Or necessary even??
appears to be, it's likely how they obtain water most of the time- in the wild they can find foods like elderberries, chokecherries, raspberries, etc. they likely also eat rhus berries and possibly poison oak berries as well.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Thats awesome! I'll definitely be doing weeks of research so I can get into these! Just started scorpions as well but I'm excited
pedes are really cool but they can really really hurt you so be very careful.

I'd say start out with scolopendra polymorpha, that's an easy one.

Latest posts