• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

pretty noob question. lolz.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeah, or you could introduce a water bowl. The T won't drown. It's jus a pain to keep really small water bowls full.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
I use like 16 oz water bottle tops. But I buy them in bulk and instead of cleaning them out every week I just replace them and fill them and chuck out the old ones.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
From what I've read, until the sling reaches about 2 inches, you should keep the substrate damp. That and the moisture they get from their prey will keep them adequately hydrated.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
My GBB's are the worst! They web them up and sometimes I don't see the webbing. So I go to put water in and it bounces off and gets the enclosure wet lol. But my LV's are growing like monsters so they keep digging their burrows and I find dirt in the water bowls all the time.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From what I've read, until the sling reaches about 2 inches, you should keep the substrate damp. That and the moisture they get from their prey will keep them adequately hydrated.
I keep their sub moist until they hit about 1.5". Then slowly let it dry out, if they are an arid species.
The waterproof cuticular layer of the exoskeleton(this is what holed moisture in the body) is not fully formed until about 7th instar. Different species will reach this stage at different sizes.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I mist our slings, the Rosie has one of those 'rock' water dishes that you find for reptile enclosures, the A.avic has a smaller version of the rock water dish, and my OBT doesn't have a water dish, I just mist the one side of her tank once a week even though it is large enough to have a dish. She just dumps it or fills it with dirt...too much hassle especially given that I have had her get out of her enclosure once and I do not wish to repeat the experience so having to mess with a water dish every day (and the lid on the critter keeper doesn't like staying open by itself) just seems to be more of a risk and hassle than it's worth...so far we've had no issues.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Maintaining such a small environment is tough work. There's so much potential for variability with things like temperature and humidity.

Latest posts