• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Preserving a Huntsman

DoobiaDave

My huntsman spider is starting to reach the end of her life and i wanted to preserve her, was hoping someone could point me in a decent direction or give me some resources on how to preserve her.

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
i think id like a display
Cool, you have a few options there, you can taxidermy it for a shadow box type display. Or you can prep it and cast it in epoxy. Either way, you want to pose it on some foam using pins to hold legs where you want them. Not through the legs but crisscross over them to hold. Let it dry. You may want to get the guts out of the abdomen. Then stuff with cotton ball and glue shut again. Or just leave abdomen empty. After that. Once dry the legs should stay in place. Put in a box or cast in epoxy. I hope that helps

DoobiaDave

i can just put it in the box after pinning it to foam to dry?
i can cut the abdomen out i didnt think their would be much since shes not a big huntsman specimen

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi,
I would pin it as described (adding a photo of how I pin my molts as well as our dead criters) but I would start by doing it on foam. Once done let it dry in open air (I wouldn’t recommend in the box), I use my boiler room for this. After a day or two for molts, longer for a dead spider, remove the pins and place it on the back plate of your shadow box with a drop of glue. Once dry put the backplate in then hand on the wall or display on shelves, all mines are for my son’s bedroom ;)
Cheers.
9A828085-909E-4129-9856-C449DE351679.jpeg
FF2CBBCE-99CA-4EDC-9614-80A83C200E9E.jpeg
41F5DC9D-FCDD-4FE2-96BB-89EAC8796BC1.jpeg
4183DCCA-5D09-4D2D-9BE9-F358237D63B0.jpeg
D6AB673F-06FC-4F81-BA58-70C5390892D5.jpeg
2AAA3C48-C75A-48DB-ADC7-6CD03618B827.jpeg

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
Hi,
I would pin it as described (adding a photo of how I pin my molts as well as our dead criters) but I would start by doing it on foam. Once done let it dry in open air (I wouldn’t recommend in the box), I use my boiler room for this. After a day or two for molts, longer for a dead spider, remove the pins and place it on the back plate of your shadow box with a drop of glue. Once dry put the backplate in then hand on the wall or display on shelves, all mines are for my son’s bedroom ;)
Cheers.View attachment 52536View attachment 52537View attachment 52538View attachment 52539View attachment 52540View attachment 52541
I'd have to say it looks like you are more experienced than I am at this. Nice work

Latest posts